cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing tapes in a partition

Matthew_M
Level 2

Hi all,

I am currently running Backup Exec 2010 R2 with a Dell TL2000 tape library. The library is partitioned to 4 tapes per partition for daily and weekly backups. When my backup jobs run, I would like them to choose tapes sequentially, starting with the first tape so I can eject that and take it offsite at the end of the week. 

The problem is, instead of choosing the first tape, my Full backups went to the 4th tape in the partition. And the next day, my Differentital backups went to the 3rd tape! 

Is there anyway to specify a tape in a partition, or a paticular sequential order? 

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is there anyway to specify a tape in a partition, or a paticular sequential order? 

Only way that I know of would be to re-label all the tapes in that partition, starting with the first one that you want to use, and then the next, etc

This way the first will have been in scratch status longest and will be grabbed first

Matthew_M
Level 2

Before the first backup job, I erased all the tapes at the same time, and they were all labeled scratch media. Yet it still went to the 4th tape first for some reason.

How do people normally schedule offsite tapes when you cannot predict which tape backup exec will choose?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Yet it still went to the 4th tape first for some reason.

BackupExec went to the tape that it thought had been in scratch/overwriteable status longest

As I said, you can re-label in the order you want them to be used

Or, if you are the one swapping tapes, simply scan the library and eject whichever tape has  been used

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If there are a couple of overwriteable tapes, BE will use the one with the oldest allocate date.

When you use a library, it is very difficult to maintain a strict sequence of tape usage.  Every small thing will throw the sequence off-kilter.  Instead of trying to manage the tapes, you should let BE and the library manage them for you.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

If you export the tape used to the mailslot of the library, then you don't have to predict which tape is being used. Just take the tape in the mailslot, put it in an envelope and label the envelope accordingly.   It is a change of mindset to let the library manage your tapes for you.  Once you get used to it, life is so much easier.