cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up SQL versions on BUE 20.6

Bill_Clark22
Level 3

During an internal audit, it was noticed that there are several outdated versions of SQL Express installed on our BUE server, presumably these versions were installed during the various upgrades of the BUE program.  I'm wanting to see if I can safely delete these old versions that I think are no longer in use.  In Programs & Features, I have the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup (English)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Setup (English)

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Transact-SQL ScriptDom

If I look under the Apps, I see the following "parent/child" programs listed:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / SQL Server Installation Center

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 / SQL Server Installation Center

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 / SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager

- SQL Server 2014 Error and Usage Reporting

- SQL Server 2014 Import and Export

- SQL Server 2014 Installation Center

When I launch the "SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager", I do see the "BKUPEXEC" instance.  Looking at the advanced properties for the instance I see it listed as version 12.3.6024.0, which in MS speak is SQL 2014 SP3.  So, from all this, I gather that the current BUE database is running on SQL Server 2014 Express.  I'm assuming I can safely go back into Programs & Features and delete anything that isn't listed as SQL Server 2014, is that correct?

1 REPLY 1

anilthomas
Level 2
Employee

If you are on a Production environment I would recommend NOT uninstalling those cause when we try to uninstall we get the below message indicating there is a dependency and could cause issues as dependent products might not function as expected. 

anilthomas_0-1630644891340.png