cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup slot

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

To run a cleanup tape on our tape library in the property of the slot 16 we choos this slot as clean slot to YES, then run the cleanup and as always remove the cleanup tape and put a normal LTO tape in that slot and change the the option Clean slot to NO.

after running the scan on the slot 16 still it says cleanup slot and we cannot see our LTO tape there.

Any idea?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

do you mean to just add the tape 000079L5 to the retired media sets and then remov it? can we again  reuse the tape 000079L5?

Yes, this is just a trick to delete this tape from the BE database temporarily.  It doesn't change anything on tape itself.  The tape can be used again, simply by running an inventory job.  If there is no valuable data on the tape, then also running an erase job may be helpful.  If there is data on the tape that you wish to restore, then you need to run a catalog job.

I recall that there were issues in the past with swapping media, do you have all the paches installed on your BE 15 server?  This may be an issue that was already fixed.  Please run LiveUpdate within BE to get all the patches.

I believe that your library should have a web interface available for management.  Does it show the cleaning bar code in slot 16?  If the library interface doesn't show the correct bar code, then it isn't surprising that BE doesn't have the correct info either.  You might be having issues reading the bar code on the cleaning tape.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What tape library are you using?

Are you using bar codes on your tapes?  If you are not using bar codes, I suggest that you do use bar codes.  If you are not using bar codes, then you will need to inventory slot 16 after putting a data tape in it.

Shahin
Level 6

HI

Thanks for the replay,

We have PowerVault 124T and yes we yse Barcode and also I do always run the inventory when put a new tape in the slot.

But it looks like the BE still think that slot 16 is cleanup slot and I cannot run the inventory on this slot it is grayout. see the attechment please

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You again did not post ant screenshot. Did you restart all the BE services?

Shahin
Level 6

sorry i dont know what went wrong

send u the screenshot again

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your cleanupslot.JPG apparently doesn't show a barcode or a media label for the tape in slot 16, which is weird.  Maybe a scan job will sort things out?

The slot icon indicates that BE still thinks that this is a cleaning slot, but your CleanSlot_0.JPG indicates that cleaning slot = no.

Is 000079L5 a cleaning tape or a data tape?  Do you have a different/proper cleaning label bar code on your cleaning tape?

I might suggest that you try retiring and deleting data tape 000079L5 as that might sort things out.  Then you can maybe run an inventory on it.  BE will not let you run an inventory job on a slot that has been marked as an cleaning slot.

In the future, you might want to NOT set slot 16 to cleaning.  If your cleaning tape has a proper cleaning bar code on it, BE will use that cleaning tape, reagrdless of what slot it is in.

Generally, I don't think that people change a slot from cleaning to non-cleaning very often.  I suspect that they usually dedicate a slot and leave it that way, but I assume that you have a big j0ob that runs and you need every single slot?

Shahin
Level 6

LHi larry,

Thank you for the replay,

Sure it is a wird issue.

I already ren the scan job 2 or 3 times and still the BE thinks the slot  is cleaning slot.

The tape 000079L5 is a blank data tape.

do you mean to just add the tape 000079L5 to the retired media sets and then remov it? can we again  reuse the tape 000079L5?

The barcode on the clean tape has never been changed and is the same when we did recieved it.

Thank you for the adivce, I did not know that clean tape with a barcode dont need to have a cleaning slot and one can just run the clean job without clean slot.

we have to reomve the clean slot as always we did with BE 2010 R3 and the reson is that the device is in a data center and we have to use all of the slots to store our tapes.

Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Yes, this is just a trick to delete this tape from the BE database temporarily.  It doesn't change anything on tape itself.  The tape can be used again, simply by running an inventory job.  If there is no valuable data on the tape, then also running an erase job may be helpful.  If there is data on the tape that you wish to restore, then you need to run a catalog job.

I recall that there were issues in the past with swapping media, do you have all the paches installed on your BE 15 server?  This may be an issue that was already fixed.  Please run LiveUpdate within BE to get all the patches.

I believe that your library should have a web interface available for management.  Does it show the cleaning bar code in slot 16?  If the library interface doesn't show the correct bar code, then it isn't surprising that BE doesn't have the correct info either.  You might be having issues reading the bar code on the cleaning tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Barcode labels for cleaning tapes are in the format CLNxxxL1 where xxx = chars.  If the barcode on your new cleaning tape is in any other format, then it is invalid.

Shahin
Level 6

Hi pkh,

The cleaning tape is the same tape we use for a long time and there is nothing has been changed.

Are you agree with solution of Larry?

Thanks

Shahin
Level 6

HI,

It looks like that library see the Tape as cleaning tape! when I move the tape to othere alot then shows the cleaning pictogram.

Shahin

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delay,

It looks like that library see the Tape as cleaning tape! and not the slot 16! when I move the tape to slot 15  then the slot 15 shows the cleaning pictogram.

and property of the tape show this in the screenshot.

Also when I open the library manager from IE browser O can see that the tape currently in the Slot 15 is 000072L5 and not a cleaning tape.

Should we still go ahead with deleting thape 000072L5 from slot 15?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

..you might want to upgrade the firmware on the library if you haven't done so already.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not quite sure I follow everything, but if the library shows a tape as a cleaning tape, then it doesn't surprise me that BE shows the same thing or BE is somehow confused by it all.  I don't know if the library has any memory or cache of tapes previously seen, but first thing I would do is export the tape, confirm what it is and then re-import.  Screenshots from the library web interface may help us help you.

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Larry,

I cannot right away export the tape to see if it is what it says it is because the library located in a data center. but from what I can see in the library web interface is that this tape is not a cleaning tape. see the the attachment.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Your tape appears to be labelled as a normal, useable backup tape, and not with a cleaning label which starts with CLN. This is most likely your issue! Thanks!

Shahin
Level 6

Sorry but I dont understand what you mean?

correct our Cleaning tape is ;abeld with CLN and our normal tapes with 0000xxL5

Thanks

Shahin
Level 6

Finaly problem has been solved,

becuase I konew the tape was empty so I did just erase the media and now everything is working as it should.