cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Side De-Duplication Issues | Windows Server 2003 Cluster

Matthew_Barclay
Level 2

Hi, is anyone aware of any issues with client-side de-duplication under Microsoft Cluster Services using Backup Exec 2010 R2?

Error: Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

Environment: 2 node Windows Server 2003 (SP2) cluster.

The job reverts to media server de-duplication and does complete successfully even though it is configured for client-side. We have configured the job to backup the physical drives and cluster shares with the same result.

Latest Agent has been deployed to both nodes.

Also tested on a standalone physical Windows Server 2003 SP2 box. Works fine. No issues.

Thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin_Murphy
Level 2
Partner

I have found the source of the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150364

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the destination where the backups are going to ? Is it backing to the De-Duplication folder on the Media server ir are you backing to any OST device??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Matthew_Barclay
Level 2

Hi Sush, Yes a de-duplication folder on the media server.

Storage platform is a Dell MD1000 connected via SAS.

Thanks.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you please confirm on the server were you want client dedup to happen does that server has dual core processor has that is the minimum requirment

Also is that server on ESX like a virtual machine & are you backing up the server using raws?

Thank You

Martin_Murphy
Level 2
Partner

Hi itsmeaffinity,

The client server has a quad core CPU. The client server is a physical machine with RAWS installed and configured for dedup.

Matthew_Barclay
Level 2

Hi, Yes the server does have dual-core processors.

No ESX - the Windows cluster and BE server are all physical.

Thanks.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you try removing the RAD  for that server & readd it & then try to see if client dedup works

RAD :Remote Agent DeDuplication

Martin_Murphy
Level 2
Partner

already tried that, no effect.

Colin_Weaver

I think you have to add the clustered (virtual server) resource  as a RADA (Remotae Agent configured with Direct Access) as well as the two node names- could be wrong though as not actually tried it...

BMcGinnis
Level 2

I have been trying to setup client side dedup on our cluster as well, my setup is nearly identical to yours. 2 node Windows Server 2003 Sp2 cluster.

I have RAWS on both nodes. I tried adding the RADA to both nodes as well as the virtual name. I have tried via IP, FQDN, IP address with no success. It never is able to retrieve the "Host ID" or "System Version" and the Dedup folder never appears under the RADA, thus media server deduplication is always used.

The only thing i can think of is that setup includes multiple "virtual" server names and IP address as this cluster took over roles of multiple filesservers, maybe this is affecting something.

When i mention virtual above i do not mean virtual machine as in VMware or hyper-v. this is all on physical dell poweredge servers.

Any input would be greatly appreicated as i think client side dedup will reduce my backup times as i am close to surpassing my time window for the backups to complete.

Colin_Weaver

I just tested this admittedly with a slightly different environment

I had 2008 SP2 Media server with DeDup folder and 2 node 2008 R2 cluster that was only clustering as a file server with one shared volume.

Configured the cluster resource name for the share as a Remote Agent with DIrect Access (for client side dedup)

RESULT: Client side DeDUp job worked correctly.

Where you might be failing

If you have multiple clusted resourse/virtual servers - each one will have to be separately configured for Client Side DeDup and you will have to run separate backup jobs for each resource as you cannot have multiple client side agents (RADAs) selected in one job.

Martin_Murphy
Level 2
Partner

I have found the source of the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150364

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

BMcGinnis
Level 2

Well I feel stupid, this is all i had to do as well.

I had reinstalled RAWS, but had not taken the extra step to delete left over files after uninstalling before reinstalling.

Thanks for the help.