cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client side dedupe didn't work

macpiano
Level 6

This was my first large test job with a 2.2TB file server. The dedupe folder is in another server. So Backup server A backs up to Server B's dedupe folder. Something worked because it only used about 65% of the disk space on Server B. The job took forever so I'm thinking that it was using server side dedupe. I don't want that because I need it done faster. It was over 60 hours. This is the message that I got after it ended.

The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

When I installed the agent I did not reboot the server. Would that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Gary

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it BE2010 or BE2010 R2 ?

To use client side dedup you need to create a selection list with only 1 server in it.

Also you need to configure remote agent with direct access(RADA) for the remote server.

macpiano
Level 6

It is 2010 R2.

The selection list was only one server. How do I configure RADA?

AmolB

In BE console, Click on the devices tab and check if you can see a folder

beneath the dedup folder with the remote server name.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23345

macpiano
Level 6

yes I have that under devices with Server B showing that folder name that I created and it shows that it has the data size that was used.

macpiano
Level 6

I did notice that I have 2 folders under the device and the other one has the sharing hand but the folder Iused does not. Am I using the wrong folder maybe?

AmolB

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77683

I would suggest you to restart the remote agent service on the remote server and then 

configure a small backup with 5-10 MB of data and check the results else reboot the 

server and check the results.

macpiano
Level 6

I ran a 4 gig job. It didn't complain about client side deduplication. However it took 35 minutes to complete the job and it was an 85 to 1 ratio leading me to believe it was server side dedupe because that data would have been on the first 2.2 TB job that I did. If it was client side I can't imagine that big of a savings.

AmolB

Well dedup jobs do take long time, open the job and check the actual amount of data being 

transfered from the remote server. Refer to the below thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-side-deduplication-be2010-r2

macpiano
Level 6

I probably need to reboot the server and since it is in production I will do that tonight. Is client side or media side faster?

AmolB

Client side will be fast but not to great extent

macpiano
Level 6

I just need a little faster than a regular job.

Kenny-Knows-Stu
Level 4

Deduplication is meant to save space then time, sometimes the regular backup to disk jobs can go faster then the deduplication jobs, dont see any settings in the backup exec to improve the performance gets better with the environment, but it surely will save you space and  bandwidth in case of a client side deduplication..