cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-side dedupe fails on 1 computer

JRV2
Level 4

Media server: WS2008 R2 SP1/BE2012 V-ray SP4

Remote servers: 1 physical WS2012, 2 virtual WS2012, RAWS installed and patched.

Backing up at guest level to a dedupe device. Backups of the physical and one of the virtual machines complete successfully. The other virtual machine completes with this exception:

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.  Please check this link for additional information:

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273

The problem server has never worked with dedupe.

I have followed the steps in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77683. Or, at least, the subset of them that apply to BE2012. No change.

Restarted BE services on media server and problem server. No change.

Disabled both firewalls; no change.

Here is an excerpt from ADAMM.LOG that shows the 3 servers during the most recent BE media server services startup. (PRINT1 is the problem server.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Host Name                  HYPERV
    Remote Host Name           HYPERV
    Port                       10000
    User Id                    DOMAIN\svcBackupExec
    Vendor Id                  VERITAS Software, Corp.
    Product Id                 Remote Agent for NT
    Revision                   8.1
    Operating System Type      Windows NT
    Operating System Version   Major Version=6 Minor Version=2 Build Number=9200 ServicePack Major=0 ServicePack Minor=0 SuiteMask=400 ProductType=3 ProcessorType=AMD64
    Host Id                    FE80::C806:8080:A1A6:A1AB
    Discover Status            SUCCESS!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** NDMP Server inaccessible, unsupported, or has no devices ***
    Host Name                  PRINT1.domain.local
    Remote Host Name          
    User Id                   
    Vendor Id                 
    Product Id                
    Revision                  
    Operating System Type     
    Operating System Version  
    Host Id                   

Host Name                  PRINT2.domain.local
    Remote Host Name           PRINT2
    User Id                    DOMAIN\svcBackupExecDedupe
    Vendor Id                  VERITAS Software, Corp.
    Product Id                 Remote Agent for NT
    Revision                   8.1
    Operating System Type      Windows NT
    Operating System Version   Major Version=6 Minor Version=2 Build Number=9200 ServicePack Major=0 ServicePack Minor=0 SuiteMask=272 ProductType=3 ProcessorType=AMD64
    Host Id                    FE80::DC25:CDCB:9343:F7AD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ancient thread, but stumbled across this and thought I should reply with what turned out to be the answer. The problem is a conflict with Trend Worry-Free Business Security 9.0. If WFBS is installed, the dedupe software won't install successfully. The failure is not reported through the BE push-install UI.

The workaround is to remove WFBS, reboot, then install RAWS, then WFBS. Client-side dedupe will work then.

It is not sufficient to disable WFBS via tray icon...it has to be uninstalled and the machine must be rebooted before attempting to install RAWS.

I have a ticket open with Trend about this now. If I remember, will come back and update this if anything comes of it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls attach the entire adamm.log ? Thanks.

JRV2
Level 4

Hi VJWare, adamm.log is attached. You'll see there are several computers with the same NDMP status as XXX-PRINT1. Currently, they don't have dedupe backups, but ultimately, they all will.

Ancient thread, but stumbled across this and thought I should reply with what turned out to be the answer. The problem is a conflict with Trend Worry-Free Business Security 9.0. If WFBS is installed, the dedupe software won't install successfully. The failure is not reported through the BE push-install UI.

The workaround is to remove WFBS, reboot, then install RAWS, then WFBS. Client-side dedupe will work then.

It is not sufficient to disable WFBS via tray icon...it has to be uninstalled and the machine must be rebooted before attempting to install RAWS.

I have a ticket open with Trend about this now. If I remember, will come back and update this if anything comes of it.