cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster disks - can I back them up?

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

Hi,

My backup sever is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard running Backup Exec 2010 / CPS 2010 (both fully patched up to date)

We have two new virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise servers with a 3TB Clustered SAN volume attached over ISCSI.

I need to backup the volume using CPS but when I create the backup job I can only see the C drive on the server and another SAN volume thats not clustered.

The next question is (presuming that I can get around the above problem) I have installed the CPS agent on the first server (FS01), the other server (FS02) doesn't have the agent installed at the moment. The two servers are clustered by the name of 'FS', so when I create my backup what server name (FS01, FS02 or FS) do I point the backup to? If FS01 was to go down the backup needs to continue on FS02 but how would it handle this? Would I need to point to job to the cluster name of 'FS'?

And also, if I can do any of the above - how do I license the cluster servers? Would I require an agent per server (FS01 and FS02) or just an agent for the 'cluster' name of 'FS'?

Thanks for any help,

Matt smiley

2 REPLIES 2

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

Turns out that the reason I couldn't see the cluster volume was that after I installed the agent on FS01 the server re-booted, the volume then came up on FS02 (which hasn't got the agent installed!) so basically I couldn't see the disk as it had failed over! duh!

Anyway, now that's sorted - I did some more digging and found:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO11618

So looks like I need to get two new 'server' licenses, one for each cluster server that can host the disk.

I would, ideally, CPS the data... I assume that this will still be possible, somehow... If anyone has any pointers I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't think CPS is the way to go.  It may be "retired" soon.  See the last section of the SCL

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)