Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining BEv9.0 Catalogs

Cbernard
Level 3
Hello.
Don't know if it's possible...
Running 2 Backup Servers with their own DLT8000 Tape Drives.
Would like to use only one place to search catalogs for files to restore.

You can change the location of the catalogs through the BE App's Options, so I used a UNC path to the other server's catalog location.Don't know if this will work.

Any ideas or docs I can look at?
Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

THarry
Level 5
 Cbernard,

You can purchase the Shared Storage Option(SSO) for backup Exec - this gives you the features you want with the least amount of pain.

What you want to do is feasible, though to be able to restore from the tapes you will need to inventory both them on both the be servers.

With the SSO option on both the servers  you will use 1 of them as the primary database server - the other will be the secondary.  So the primary will hold all the information about the tapes, media sets, job, catalogs etc etc.

It's not cheap though, think it's about $1500 - $1800 or so for each license.

Harry

Cbernard
Level 3
 Hello Hary, thanks for your reply.
I do want to control all jobs from a central BE Server.
I had looked at the Veritas SSO bfore, discounting it because it was a Fiber-Channel solution.

The backups, which use a Tape Library and run across a private Gigabit backbone, is in place already.  The backup time window is short, so to maximize it we decided to have some of the App Servers do their own backups simultaneously during this time window.

The idea was to centralize the Veritas dB so that backup jobs and restores from sessions or catalog searches can be centralized. I think that the SSO\Fiber-Channel solution is the only way Veritas wants to do it.

Would you know if the SSO supports a Gigabit solution as my client was and is unwilling to upgrade to a Fiber-Channel backbone (SAN).

Thanks

THarry
Level 5
 Cbernard,

I don't see why it shouldn't work if the tape devices are not on a SAN - it should still share the databases OK.
Try it out - put backup exec into eval mode, so you get the SSO option and see if it works.

Harry