cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining several smaller jobs but using dedupe

macpiano
Level 6

I know that some recommend using a seperate backup job for each resource when using dedupe. However I have tons of jobs because of this and I would like to take about 6 of the smaller ones and combine them. Anyone see any issue with this?

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

From a speed perspective, yes more jobs is better when talking to disk/dedupe store.  But unless you are suffering long backup jobs, grouping the smaller ones into a singlular larger job should be fine.

Ever get your Isilon NAS issues sorted out?

macpiano
Level 6

"Ever get your Isilon NAS issues sorted out?" You have a good memory. lol

We did kind of. I'm backing up about 4 TB and it was taking 89 hours. I just moved that down to 2 jobs simultaneously and one takes 48 and the other takes a few hours longer. Speed still isn't all that much better on a gig connection than my jobs that are only connected with 100MB connection. The connection between those first 2 do not affect our environment at all so I was only concerned about the long time because if a person lost files on Monday they may not have been backed up unitl later on Monday. I'm using a 2 year retention time now and the dedupe folder has hardly grown at all.

I did experiment with 2012 but it was no faster and maybe I'm just used to 2010 the interface is horrible in 2012.

Thanks for the info on the consolidation.