cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common LiveUpdate problem - Cannot disable in BE12 with SEP 11 installed - Has no one solved this?

VDOR
Level 3

I've seen many posts regarding this exact problem, but not once have I seen a resolution here or anywhere else on the internet. Surely Symantec must have anticipated people installing SEP & Live update on the same servers. As many know, the problem with LiveUpdate is it will frequently reboot after hotfixes are installed without user input. We can't afford to have our production backup server going down at random times (or, more frequently, crashing because of LiveUpdate errors).

I've disabled liveupdate in the Tools>> option menu on BackupExec12, but of course its enabled on SEP for the latest virii definitions. Despite this seemingly obvious setting, BackupExec12 refuses to listen. Live Update sitll does it thing, still fails, crashes or reboots. The only time I'd EVER want Live Update to run is when we do our monthly Maintenance, but Symantec refuses to listen.

Surely, someone, somewhere has figured out this problem? Is there a registry setting that can be modified? I prefer to find answers without opening a ticket with symantec (because, usually, its quicker), but I might have to in this case.  

Can anyone point me elsewhere where a productive discussion about this is occuring ? I'm lost!

1 REPLY 1

VDOR
Level 3

Found this obscure fix,  hopefully it can help others that are having the same problem:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304395.htm

Basic steps for 12 (you'll find more detailed in the link)

Ensure live update 3.3 or higher is installed

Install hotfix in link

Install BEUpdateOps utility

run proper command line to exempt backup exec from the live update

I could only find 3 references to this utility on the entire net. It'd be nice if symantec would cruise these forums and try and point people in the right direction...