cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communications/Writer Errors; Failed Backups 12.0 SP4

hiestandc
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

First of all, I apologize for not being the most versed and experienced with Backup Exec. We're running Backup Exec 12.0 SP4 (with all available updates installed through Live Update) on a Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 x64, which runs Exchange 2007 (we are NOT running SP2, I do not believe many updates - if any - have been installed). Backups have been completing nightly (we do a full granular backup to an HP drive/tape)  for about two months, and now this past week we are getting errors ever night.

The first error was "0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred, and now it's "0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status". Both of these errors say to look at the Event Viewer, but I did not find the errors which the KB articles had pointed out. If someone could please point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,
-CR
2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This issue occures due to VSS Writers are not stable.

Install the VSS rollup Patch : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED) and run the backups again.

Hope this helps....

hiestandc
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for your comment, we'll give that a try and see what happens. The backup from last night worked just fine, which would make sense if this is an issue of random unstable writers.

Thanks again,
-CR