cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible HBA's for BUE 2010

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Hi

We've recently purchased a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with LTO5 tapes.  Our supplier told us that we needed a Host Bus Adapter and supplied us with an LSI SAS 9212-4i4e with integrated RAID.  We are installing this on a Dell 2950 with PERC 6/i RAID controller.  The only thing that will be attached to the LSI will be the SuperLoader.

However we are having problems with BUE not finding it and locking.  According to TECHNOTE 70907:

As documented on the Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility Lists, Host-Bus-Adapters featuring RAID are generally not supported or recommended

The LSI is not listed.

Does anyone have one of these HBA's installed with a SuperLoader and successfully working with BUE 2010 who could give me some pointers?

Thanks

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Just find an LSI SAS card without RAID.  It's as simple as that.  LSI is a popular card with broad support for OS's and is OEM to a lot of server manufacturers.

Dell has some re-branded units too, often they are LSI.  HP uses LSI, and there are very low cost units you would find at your local computer supplystore like Fry's, newegg, etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Tony,

This is more of a query for the Dell forum, as Symantec would simply copy/paste this from the vendors. HP also don't recommend using RAID controllers with tape storage for instance...

Thanks!

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Thanks Craig,

I got the same reponse from Dell and am exploring all sides of the arguement for ammunition.

Can you recommend a suitable HBA I can use?

Tony

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Unfortunately not...best bet is to check for a compatibility list on the Dell website, specifically for your server --> SCSI/SAS card --> tape library compatibility.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Just find an LSI SAS card without RAID.  It's as simple as that.  LSI is a popular card with broad support for OS's and is OEM to a lot of server manufacturers.

Dell has some re-branded units too, often they are LSI.  HP uses LSI, and there are very low cost units you would find at your local computer supplystore like Fry's, newegg, etc.

AshutoshTamhank
Level 4
Employee Accredited

does this http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70907 help?