cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completed with Exceptions (Encryption on OST)

Cupis
Level 4

Hi All,

We drop our backups onto an OST Device. We do not use encryption on our OST device, so we do our encryption using Backup Exec. The problem with this is that all my jobs complete with the following message

"The job has been configured for either data encryption or software compression, or both. The job is also targeted to a device that is capable of data deduplication. Encryption and compression of the backup data can prevent much of the data from being deduplicated."

Now before anyone says its safe to ignore, which I understand it is. I dont want Backup admins to start ignoring alerts that are tagged as "Backup completed with exceptions" because sometimes there really is genuine need to investigate these, for example there are those jobs that say it has completed, but it has skipped certain files that were in use.

Now I understand that an alert such as this is quite useful, since if I had mistakenly configured it the way I have and had an option to do it the way it suggests I would like to know about it, but not if its going to alert me consistently all day for every job that runs on that server.

So I am hoping upon hoping that someone is going to tell me there is a way to supress this, but I have a gut feeling that there is nothing I can do.

Regards,

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, no way to granularily suppress alerts. It is all or nothing unfortunately.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Since you know that your configuration is wrong, why don't you correct the mistake so that the error message goes away? Isn't this better than suppressing the error message and ignoring the error?

Cupis
Level 4

Well I would like to do it the correct way, but it is not always possible. It is viewed to be cheaper to do encryption via backup exec than licensing encryption on the OST device. 

Im assuming the benefits of leaving the encryption to the device would allow the device to do its dedupe and compression more efficiently than if Backup Exec were to intefere witht he process. Anyone know what sort of kind of hit the 'performance' takes of said process it doing it the way I am currently doing it now?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would have to do your own measurement, but you are definitely incurring the dedup overhead without the benefits of dedup.  You might as well save a bunch of money by saving your backups to ordinary disks.