Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression options

User999
Level 4

Hi,

After going through the forum, I noticed many responded saying that:-

1) Compression ratio is not something that can be configure manually?

In that case,

2) What is the best practice of applying compression, should we go with Hardware only, Software only, or Hardware+Software?

Any BCP in the industry?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Hardware compression is always preferable to software compression, as this is done on the device itself, and not via server resources.

You'd need to select compression if you're running a library, and this is done through that particular library's web interface. Then select Hardware, otherwise software.

This way you're going to get some sort of compression, although it can't be guaranteed depending on the type of data being backed up.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Hardware compression is always preferable to software compression, as this is done on the device itself, and not via server resources.

You'd need to select compression if you're running a library, and this is done through that particular library's web interface. Then select Hardware, otherwise software.

This way you're going to get some sort of compression, although it can't be guaranteed depending on the type of data being backed up.

Thanks!

User999
Level 4

Hi,

I do remember seeing such options of Hardware or Software in BE itself? Is that same if I select Hardware compression in BE, rather than library's web interface.

Thanks.

teiva-boy
Level 6

You only need to ensure it's enabled in the library interface.

Enabled at the drive level within BackcupExec.  (Right click, properties)

Then in your job you select hardware compression.  It will then toggle on/off compression via SCSI commands sent to the device.