cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression wrong

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Working with symantec backup exec 12.0 for a while already, one week I am having trouble backing up LTO tape-dell, it starts back up and asks for second tape, as if the space of the tape is finished. I believe he is not doing the compression of the files correctly, someone could help me?
24 REPLIES 24

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

What size tape do you use, and how much data is being backed up?
Also, what are your overwrite and protection settings...?

tech29
Level 6
Hi Cesar,

What kind of compression are you using?  Hardware compression or software compression.

Also what is the current compression ratio you are getting here?

You can also go through the following link:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/199542.htm

Regards,
tech29

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
We've seen many posts regarding poor compression on LTO drives using Symntec drivers  (in some cases less than 1:1)

One fellow reported much better luck using the manufacturer drivers.  Have you tried switching

teiva-boy
Level 6
I for one have always had great luck and no issues using manufacturer supplied drivers...  I usually start with that, before downgrading to Symantec's.  

CraigV
?

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Good afternoon everybody, I use hardware compression, and never had been no problem, and had to do 2 years, I've updated drivers and firmware and sent to run the backup again, I'm waiting for the result.
Thank you all, and if the problem persists still asking you hehehe

teiva-boy
Level 6
Not all data is compressible.  Are you sure that a user hasn't stuck some large multimedia file on the server that is taking up the space?  Many times, when I hear the complaint of compression, it's the data, and not a setting in the tape or backup software.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Good morning, I'm backing up my servers, we do not back up any video file, just the database.
Hlp-me.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3

esou staff now have the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status. Last error: The VSS Wrinter failed, but  the operation can be retried (0x800423f3). State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8). missing a 36 GB to complete the backup.Please someone give me a light to solve this problem

A new error:
Please insert overwritable media into the drive.
Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.
Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

CraigV
That means you have:

1. No space on an appendable tape to append data too;
2. No scratch media in your tape drive/autoloader/library.

You need to make sure you have scratch media available...

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Hello CraigV not understand the 2nd option, would you explain in more detail, because I am beginner with respect to the Symantec Backup Exec.

Ja option 1 would not be because I have 30 tapes and everything is the same, it starts up-do and when it comes to calls atrocity 215GB tape.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Staff was looking at the settings, and would like to know how to check if hardware compression is available.

CraigV
Go into Device, and right-click your tape drive. Right-click it, and under Configuration, you will find a tick box to Enable compression.
You can also set this under Tools --> Options --> Backup --> Compression type.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
has done this, but got no result. I wonder if you can do with the buffer, if using this much stuff.

CraigV
Got no result doing what? Is compression on or off?
You can up your buffer a bit, but not too much. You will actually get a message stating that the settings chosen can affect restores. I normally leave mine at 1MB. I don't really see that much of a difference.
Some additional questions:

1. How much data are you backing up?
2. What are your retention times on your media sets? Right-click your media sets under Media...
3. Are you appending to tapes, or overwriting at all times? No appendable media can also make your jobs queue and prompt for scratch/empty media.

digsaw
Level 4
Craig is right.

1. What is the native and compressed capacity of you tapes?
2. What is byte count you are getting for the job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The type of compression and encryption used is listed in the job log.  Expand the Job Operation - Backup section of the job log and check the Backup Options.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
1 - 200GB 400GB uncompressed and compressed the total file is 295GB.
2 - It's not enabled UPnP retention time.
3 - The tapes are changed daily, and overwrite the data.

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Results

Backup Options
Media operation - overwrite.
Compression Type: Hardware [if available, otherwise software]
Encryption Type: None
WARNING: The option 'Verify after backup completes' was not selected.
Performing a verify operation to make sure that media can be read after the backup has completed is recommended.