cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure BE 2014 tape library partition for failover

NADJSA
Level 2

I am not seeing a way to configure a failover if the first partition has failed tape writes. I would like to be able to specify using the second partition if that happens, is that possible? If not, why not? 

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you configure your tape library to have multiple partitions (aka logical libraries), then you can target Backup Exec jobs to a specific partiton/library.

But there is no automatic failover.  A job is configured for the partition you want to use (until YOU change the job configuration).

Realistically, how would you know to fail over?  after how many errors in what time frame?  What if there were multiple tape drives in a partition?

Larry,

Thanks for the response. My thought is the first partition target is having EMU(end marker unreadable) tape errors. If the library is configured with two or more partitions, having a primary and secondary, if both tapes in the primary generate EMU errors or the write fails to complete to a destination for, say 30 mins, it looks to the second partition for oldest avaiable qualifying media. 

Marc

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

End Marker Unreadable is a symptom, not an error.  End-marker-unreadable shows up when BE finds a tape that didn't have the PREVIOUS backup job end cleanly and write the end marker that it was supposed to.

So if it's just a symptom, when the write fails to that tape and it seeks another in the configuration, why not enable partition ordered seek for viable media? That is my question really I guess.