cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Backup Exec in low bandwidth enviroment

Christiano
Level 3

Hello!

I am using the BE 2012 in my company, it is working good, but there is a little problem.

I have 6 servers in a remote place, and we´d like to backup them, but the bandwidth between these servers and the media server is low and the backup takes long time and never ends.
Is there a configuration, best practice or recomendation to do respect to this?

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

To behonest, BackupExec may not be the right product for you.  You can try to use the client-side dedupe. But even then, your bandwidth could pose a problem.  Have you considered an online backup service, something like Mozy Pro?  Or I'm sure Symantec has something similar?  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The recommended configuration for your situation is to set up a media server with the dedup option at the remote location.  You would also need a media server with the dedup option at the main location and the CASO option.

At the remote location, backups are done to the dedup folder and then duplicate to the dedup folder at the main location.  When you do the duplicate which is called optimised duplication, only the changed data blocks are sent over the WAN link, minimising the bandwidth requirement.

teiva-boy
Level 6

client-side dedupe would accomplish the same thing, for much less cost.  CASO and optimized dedupe doesnt gain you anything unless you need to tape out in those remote sites, or you had enough clients/servers to necessitate their own media server.

Christiano
Level 3

Thank you guys! I understand. 

One more quuestio. If I want to use the CASO option and other media server in the remote place, it includes aditional licence right?

Regards!

teiva-boy
Level 6

You will buy the media server license and have to buy the CASO license (Which changed in BE2012 and is part of a bundle license now)  Thats about $2k in licensing minimum.

Then a beefy server, fast disk for the dedupe store, etc....

When all is said and done you're looking at $10k or more in hardware and software.

Christiano
Level 3

Ok!  Thanks!... May be would be better give up  the employ!

Its a joke!... thank you for your help!

Regards!