cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure LTO4 Tape library and HP D2D storage to Backupexec 2010 Media Server

Vincent_T
Level 2

Hi

Currently, our backupexec 2010 is connected to HP MSL2024 LTO4 tape library in Production Site and DR Site.

We are in the progress of exploring to Include HP D2D to existing Backupexec [ LTO4 Tape library still require ]

IN Term of Backupexec 2010 Setup is it possible .or what are the techinical aspect we should take into consideration

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I take it that the HP D2D will be on your primary site along with your MSL2024 on the production site?

If you follow what the vendors are saying, back up to disk first. Once done, you can schedule a duplicate job, which will take those files on disk and stream them off to tape.

If you're using a policy, it is a simple case to create that duplicate job.

Disk should be faster, and the reason for this is that there isn't a streamer involved which has to constantly stop/start depending on the amount and size of files. Streaming a B2D file (in *.bkf format) would be faster for the LTO4 tape as well, as it would be a constant data stream going through.

If you have jobs already configured, you'd do the following:

1. Create a B2D on the HP D2D device, and configure the settings in BE.

2. Go to your Jobs tab, open your jobs, and then point them in the direction of the new B2D folder you just created.

3. Create, and schedule a duplicate job targetting your tape drive once done.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you purchase your D2D, you might want to verify that it is supported by checking the HCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Vincent_T
Level 2

Hi All

Thanks for the assist. in providing the answer to my query

CraigV

Hi Vincent,

Which one answered your query? Marking the relevant post helps future posters by providing them with ready solutions.

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

It works.  It's been working for near a year now well before the HCL said "supported."  

Remember the HCL is for tested configs, not that it wont work with BE.  Just what Symantec had time to test.  I take those with a grain of salt most days... It's the SCL I pay more attention to.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Just remember to up the concurrent streams setting on the B2D folder to get the most performance out of the device.  BE is hard limited to 16 streams, but the D2D is probably at most half that, and a little less in most cases.  Remember kids, Backup Tuning is fun!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As they say, you can do anything that you like, just don't get caught.  If it is unsupported and you encounter any problem, then it is a very fancy and expensive paperweight.

CraigV

...you shoudl write an article on it teiva-boy...we'd ALL benefit from it! :)