cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure number of Backup files per folder

Lon_Coleman
Level 3
I have several servers running nightly Backup-to-Disk jobs. All of the servers except one will save up to 4 files in the Backup-to-Disk folder. However, I have one server that will only save up to 2 files in its folders. Where can I set this. I have compared the servers and everything looks identical.

I have folders for Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and Full. All folders do the same thing.
7 REPLIES 7

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote.

(title) Why are multiple .bkf (backup-to-disk) files being created for backup-to-disk jobs?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/248751

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Lon_Coleman
Level 3
That article is actually oppisite of what I am trying to do. And I am able to do on the other servers.

I DO want multiple files in the folder. One file per week, with a total of 4 weeks. So there should always be 4 .bkf files in the folder.

I have OPP set to NONE and APPEND to 4 weeks.

Lon_Coleman
Level 3
After looking into this further... the server that I can't seem to get working has all the media in the B2D folder as Overwritable. If I change the OPP to 1 year, is still says that the media is Overwritable.

I have two servers that work, and the properties windows of the media sets looks different on the server that does not work. I checked the versions 10.1 rev.5629 on all three servers.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Lon,

- Could you Compare and tell us your Backup to Disk Properties under the Configuration Tab?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Lon_Coleman
Level 3
I will list the server that is NOT allowing more that 2 files per folder...

Max. Sixe Files = 50GB
Max. # of Backuo Sets per file = 100
Disk Space Reserve = 0
Auto Detect
Concurrent Operations = 1

Now the setting for the 2 servers that DO allow more than 2 files per folder...
Max. Sixe Files = 30GB for 1 server and 100GB for the other
Max. # of Backuo Sets per file = 100
Disk Space Reserve = 0
Auto Detect
Concurrent Operations = 1

In the media section, all the B2D media on the first server is "Overwritable" The other 2 servers are set to Infinite - Do not allow Overwrite.

I have re-ran the Media Wizard to redonfigure the B2D media, but still will not change. Also created new media and still labeled as overwritable.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Lon,

Sorry for the delayed response, but could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks a lot!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Check the setting in Tools | Options | Media Management for the 'Media overwrite options' setting. If you want new files created instead of overwriting previous ones, check the selection 'Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable...' . This should cause creation of new bkf files instead of reusing the existing ones.

Russ