cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Backup Exec 11d to do Exchange Server incremental backups

Starkadder
Level 4

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a policy which will allow me to perform message level backups of my Exchange 2003 server. I have no problem with a full backup, but I would also like to introduce an incremental backup which only does a backup those messages added since the last full/incremental.

I have tried various options within my policy, but I cannot see any way of performing a message level restore from an incremental backup. Is this because you cannot do and incremental or differential backup?

If it is possible, what could I be missing. I am carrying out a full backup of my server every weeken, and on every weekday I would like to perform an incremental backup. In my policy my weekly backup is set to perfrom a Full backup of the Database and Logs and the check box for individual mail messages is checked. For my daily policy I have selected an incremental backup and again the check box for individual mail message restore is checked. I am backing up to disk as recommended.

Any pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is the incremental backup going to the same backup to disk foler ?

Starkadder
Level 4

It is going to the same folder as the Full backups, would that be a problem?

New backup media is created in the folder, but I cannot browse it for mail messages.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I take it you can see the restore selection for individual messages against the full backup?

What version of 11D are you running (11.0.6235 or 11.0.7170)?

Starkadder
Level 4

Hello Colin,

Yes I can see the mailboxes/messages in the Full. That's not a problem.

It's only with the incrementals.

We're running v11.0.7170 sp1.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well SP5 plus 1 later Exchange related update are the last updates for 11.0.7170 so you should probably look at updating to these and testing (with a new full first to start things off)

SP5 = http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126846

HF70 = http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129663

Or even consider upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R2 which is now the 4th version since the one you are running.