cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Backup-to-Disk media

SysAdmin1
Level 3
I’m switching over from using tapes to using backup-to-disk. I'd like to be able to go back four days (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu) and four weeks (1 Fri ago, 2 Fri ago, 3 Fri ago . . .) How do I setup my backup-to-disk folders? Right now I have 1 job, 1 backup-to-disk folder, and 1 media set, but suspect I'll need multiples of something(s). Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 You only really need multiples of Media sets and jobs - although to make life easier two backup to disk folders would help

You don't say if you want to append to the files so I'll assume you don't (for simplicity)

Monday to Thursday
Create a Media set with overwrite protection 6 days, Append 0 days
Create a Backup job that is scheduled for Mon-Thurs (whatever start time you like) and uses the B2D location and the Media set.
Note 6 days will mean Monday's media is available to be overwritten the next week, same for Tuesday etc.

Friday
Create a Media Set with Overwrite Protection 27 days, Append 0 days
Optional: Create another B2D folder
Create a Backup Job that is scheduled for Fridays and uses the same B2D location or the optional one and uses the friday media set.
Note: 27 days allows the backup media to be available for overwrite 4 weeks later

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
 You only really need multiples of Media sets and jobs - although to make life easier two backup to disk folders would help

You don't say if you want to append to the files so I'll assume you don't (for simplicity)

Monday to Thursday
Create a Media set with overwrite protection 6 days, Append 0 days
Create a Backup job that is scheduled for Mon-Thurs (whatever start time you like) and uses the B2D location and the Media set.
Note 6 days will mean Monday's media is available to be overwritten the next week, same for Tuesday etc.

Friday
Create a Media Set with Overwrite Protection 27 days, Append 0 days
Optional: Create another B2D folder
Create a Backup Job that is scheduled for Fridays and uses the same B2D location or the optional one and uses the friday media set.
Note: 27 days allows the backup media to be available for overwrite 4 weeks later

SysAdmin1
Level 3
Exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

SysAdmin1
Level 3
I now have 5 resources to backup (1 local, 4 remote with agent).   I have 10 jobs, 2 media sets (weekly, daily), and 1 backup-to-disk folder.

What do I choose for When this job begins: [Overwrite, append/overwrite, append/terminate] for each job?

Is Eject at all applicable for backup-disk-folders?

This is a whole new way of thinking for me.

Thanks in advance.

Colin_Weaver
 if you set 0 day append like I originally suggested that you can only use Overwrite or Append then overwrite if no Appendable available - in this instance both should have the same affect because the media does not allow an append anyway - result will be a new bkf is either created or overwritten at the start of every job. If you use Append/terminate your job will fail.

Eject is not applicable - if you are used to ejecting to make sure you don't overwrite then this is what the overwrite protection settings are for.

SysAdmin1
Level 3
Thanks again;  I really appreciate your prompt assitance!