cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring vCenter Appliance, SUSE Linux Enterprise 11(64-bit) into Symantec Backup Exec 2012

DaddyDee73
Level 2

I'm a newbie to this forum, but your help & input is welcome.

I've recently installed and configured BUE 2012 on a HP ProLiant DL380 G6 server and need to ensure critical Guest VMs/VMDK files are captured for nightly backups.

Method: Backup & Restores, Add server, Linux computer.

Can someone please advise as to what is the best way of going about this?  Should I add remote agents directly onto VMs or add vCenter and drill downwards?

This therefore leads me to my second point.  Having established I can add Guest VMs as backup jobs, I was advised that this should be done at VC level downwards?  Nevertheless, having added the VC, I’m unable to see any VMs!! 

BUE Service account is a member of both Domain Admins (which in turn is a member of Administrator in VCs) & Backup Operators and so permission wise should be sufficient.

I should mention at this point, I’m yet to add server to HP MSA70 enclosure and MSL 2024 tape library.  My logic was to set-up backup jobs in advance, before presenting storage.

Virtual Appliance is VMware 5.1 and rackmount server OS is Windows 2008 R2 64-bit.

See attached.

Again, your feedback is welcome.

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Add the VCA as a VMware server and not as a Linux server. For this option to be available, do you have the Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V license installed ?

DaddyDee73
Level 2

Cheers for that.  I'll give that a go.

I should have mentioned, I went down the 'typical' installation route, which of course would not have made availalbe mentioned agents.

Based on your tip off and referring to a 9min BUE 2012 'Installing & Configuring' vid, that may indeed be the missing link!!

Many thanks again.