cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on backup types

FORGIVEN
Level 4

BE 2010 R3 on Windows server 2k3. We use B2D on a NAS (ReadyNAS) with 2TB's of storage. I changed 1 other server to full backup with incremental backups using the wizard. When doing full backups w/o incrementals, we had plenty of space on the NAS. Now, with incremental, we use the whole 2TB of space within a week or so! I look in the folder on the NAS in relationship to that server backup and there are ~29 or more 4.1GB bkf files!? On the 17th, there is 593GB of backups for 1 server? Something does not add up 'cause that server being backed up does not even have that much HDD space. Do i not understand the different backup types:

[quote]An Incremental backup backs up only the selected files that have their archive bit set to ON, setting them back to OFF. This results in a backup of all files that are new or changed since the last backup, whether it was a full or an incremental. The advantage of an Incremental is that it takes the least amount of time and media of all the backup methods.[/quote]

Taken from here. Maybe the wizard is hosing things up? Maybe the incremental backup is some how messed up? Not sure what is going on. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What sort of data/server are you backing up ? for egs are you backing up a Linux server or are you backing up a server where no agent is present ?

Are you using modified time or archive bit ?

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Linux server is being backed up. Archive bit, i believe.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Change it to modified time for Linux machines ...run a full backup first followed by the incremental & observe the size of the backed up data now

Here are couple of KB articles for your reference

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75160

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180111

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Done. Full backup running now, then a incremental. Thanks for the info.