cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused ?

sensai
Not applicable
I am currently running Backup Exec 12.5.  Here is my issue, I had to call them because of an issue and while I was talking on the phone to the tech guy, he ask me did I have a license for IDR.  I replied yes and asked him why was I asked this question.  He responded that he just wanted to verify that if I were to have a hardware failure that I would be able to restore my active directory.  I then asked him, if I was NOT to have that option and I were to have a motherboad failure, I would not be able to restore my active directory without this option and he said that was correct.  So my question to you guys is this:

If I were to have a hardware failure ( such as motherboard) on my domain controller would I be able to

A) restore using system state that was created from a different machine

B) have to use the IDR option to restore that machine in case of hardware failure

I have gotten mixed answers on this question, so I figured I would post here and see what you guys/girls have to say.

Edit:  This server is a windows 2003 standard acting as a domain controller, running in a raid 1 setup.

Thanks,

sensai
3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec IDR will help you in DR on a different hardware (Symantec says it..) as far as my experience IDR has never worked on a different hardware.

The best DR solution would be Backup Exec System Recovery which is a Block Level Backup and can be restored on a different hardware.

A) restore using system state that was created from a different machine.
We won't be able to restore System State on a different Hardware

Hope this helps....

Dev_T
Level 6
Any News here?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As Dev T says

Yes, you can do a full recovery without IDR.  It just does everything that you would do behind a wizard and scripts.  It does not save you any time at all.  And as he also pointed out, IDR does NOT support different hardware.   See  your Admin Guide for details. 

Personally, I'd rather do it manually, so if/when something doesn't work correctly, I see the errors directly, not filtered through the wizard

If you forsee a disaster recovery using different hardware BESR is a better (and more costly)  choice