cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consecutive Full & Differential Backups - Possible Methods?

AndyH
Level 3

My objective is to run two backup jobs back-to-back.  The first job is a full backup of approximately half the data on my server.  The second job is a differential backup of the other half of the data on my server.  My first thought was that I could do this within a single policy with two templates, with one of the two relevant selections assigned to the first template and the other selection assigned to the other template.  If I was able to do that I could then rely on the template rules to control the starting of the second job to occur at the conclusion of the first job.

It seems though that I cannot have different selections assigned to different templates within the one policy.

My reason for doing this is the tape does not have the capacity to hold a full backup of all data.  My strategy is to run the Full+Differ jobs one night, and then again the following night with the selections reversed.  This alternating process would continue on its two day cycle while consuming one tape per night.

Could you please tell me if I am interpreting the available methods correctly, and what the best way to run a full backup and a differential backup consecutively without introducing a conservatively long delay between the two?

Andyh

0 REPLIES 0