cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation of image files?

JorgeBermud54
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I'm in charge of two Windows Server 2012 machines and need a new backup solution.

I'm looking at Backup Exec, but I'm a bit confused by how it works. My questions specifically are:

- Does it create incremental files ?

- If so, can they be consolidated ?

- Does this cost extra? Or is it only available in a certain version of Backup Exec?)

Thanks,

Jorge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE does create incremental files and for certain types of backups, like file backups, you can buy the Enterprise Server Option which can do synthetic backups to consolidate full and incremental backups. Note that BE does not do image-based backups. The backups done are on a file level. If you need image-based backups, then take a look at Symantec System Recovery (SSR). Post your questions on SSR to the SSR forum

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE does create incremental files and for certain types of backups, like file backups, you can buy the Enterprise Server Option which can do synthetic backups to consolidate full and incremental backups. Note that BE does not do image-based backups. The backups done are on a file level. If you need image-based backups, then take a look at Symantec System Recovery (SSR). Post your questions on SSR to the SSR forum

JorgeBermud54
Level 2

Dear pkh,

Thanks for the information. I will post it there.

I must admit, the Symantec product catalogue is quite large and hard to navigate between what does what..

Best Regards,

Jorge