cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construct Catalog from Snapshot data?

baslack
Level 2

Greetings:

This may seem like a very elementary question to ask, but I've inherited a mess and I'm having to come up with some sort of plan to resolve it.

What I have is a couple of media sets which appear to have been uncataloged by my predecessor, pretty much since their creation. Backups have run on these sets over a period of years, stretching over several tapes, but I can not search them because of the lack of cataloging. I can restore from snapshots taken during backups, which is what I believe this person must have been doing (and explains why he was always in such a mood when asked to find anything in backup), but with an incremental backup set, data could stretch over weeks and months of snapshot data. As you can likely guess, this individual is no longer with the company, hence my mention of the mess I've inherited.

The question is, is there a way to generate searchable catalogs from the snapshot data, withouth bringing every single tape in the media set out of storage and cataloging them? I'm guessing the short answer is no, but as that I have to deal with a secure backup facility to get all this material back, I figure I should ask first. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...if you need data from a particular tape that isn't cataloged, then you would be required to do so. IN order for the BEDB to have that information readily available for restores, it needs to contain that data. You would need to catalog your tapes as such.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you can restore from the tapes, then they are cataloged.  What you see as snapshots in the BE console are actual backups.

You did not indicate which version of BE you are using?  Searching particular file is enhanced in the latest version of BE.  It is difficult to tell you what you want because there is just not enough details.

It is always a good practice to do fairly frequent full backups so that the backup chain is not too long.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...if you need data from a particular tape that isn't cataloged, then you would be required to do so. IN order for the BEDB to have that information readily available for restores, it needs to contain that data. You would need to catalog your tapes as such.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you can restore from the tapes, then they are cataloged.  What you see as snapshots in the BE console are actual backups.

You did not indicate which version of BE you are using?  Searching particular file is enhanced in the latest version of BE.  It is difficult to tell you what you want because there is just not enough details.

It is always a good practice to do fairly frequent full backups so that the backup chain is not too long.

baslack
Level 2

Thanks, this was pretty much the conclusion we came to here in conferences with Corporate IT. I've begun the process of cataloging the tapes. and will be taking the advice of creating new, year by year, sets to shrink the cataloging overhead moving forward. Thanks for the advice.