cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continous protection for Exchange and SQL on BE 2012

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi to all, I'm newbie with BE, so I have a simple question: We need to protect application data with BE 2012. I remember a feature available in previous version that basically enable Continuous Protection(i.e. for Exchange). It's that feature available in BE 2012? I'd like to protect Exchange, SQL and Sharepoint (desirable) to prevent data loss in a crash event. I'd like to be able to recover data on that applications to the last second (or minute) prior the crash. Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Not to the last minute.  Only a point in time based on the last full and/or incremental.

For up to the last minute, you do need a continuous data protection (CDP) like product.  CPS was that.

You will have to look for alternatives, or perhaps look at using some native functions like SCR/LCR, DAG, etc...  Perhaps even geo-clustering.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

CPS is discontinued in BE 2012.  In any case, CPS is only for files and not for Exchange or SQL databases.

For SQL databases, you can enable transaction logging and do point-in-time restores.  You would have to backup your transaction logs frequently though.  I believe that Exchange too have logging.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Actually, CPS did exchange data replication as well.

Sagar_Walambe
Level 4
Employee

Yes, CPS is discontinued in BE 2012.CPS Exchange protection jobs will get migrated to normal exchange incremental jobs during upgrade.CPS databases, snapshots and protected resources will not be backed up using BE2012 but CPS will continue working for protection of file system.

For more information check the EOL section in readme.

Hope this will help.

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks all for your answers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: Even without CPS,  I have sufficient options in BE 2012 to assure that in case of a catastrophic event, I can recover Exchange and SQL to the last minute prior the event?

Again, thank for your help.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Not to the last minute.  Only a point in time based on the last full and/or incremental.

For up to the last minute, you do need a continuous data protection (CDP) like product.  CPS was that.

You will have to look for alternatives, or perhaps look at using some native functions like SCR/LCR, DAG, etc...  Perhaps even geo-clustering.