cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Protection Server !??!

Bill_Asher
Level 2
I have BE 11d for Windows and keep reading all about the built-in CPS features of 11d, but I do not see them.  Can someone tell me how I get CPS for Windows, is there more agents to buy or is it a separate product?  I've looked on the Symantec Products and do not see it in the list.  I also want to run CPS for Exchange.

I'm just looking for a direction on getting CPS up and rolling.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Bill,

CPS is a separate install and will need to be downloaded from here:

Please read through the following FACTS:

1) CPS version 7170 (11.0.400.701) is compatible with Backup Exec 7170 (should be backwards compatible with Backup Exec 6235 - but I haven't tested this)
2) Backup Exec and CPS need to be installed on the same server and that server should NOT be the Exchange server or a Domain Controller.
3) You will need to deploy a CPS Agent to the Exchange server (aka CPA - this does require a reboot)
4) You use the same Backup Exec - Remote Agent for Windows licensing number for CPS license (nothing additional to buy)
5) You only need to create your Exchange backup job inside Backup Exec (not in CPS). When you select the option to "Continuous backup transaction logs with CPS" option under Exchange settings and submit the job, Backup Exec will automatically create the job in CPS for you. This is where you can set the Recovery points as well.
6) When using BE and CPS to protect Exchange you have to run your backups to disk - this does NOT backup to tape!!
7) After the Exchange job and the Recovery points job have run you will see these selections under the Restore tab in Backup Exec.

To understand more of how the Recovery points get created read this post:

Bill_Asher
Level 2
The link you gave me takes you to a BE 11d eval download.  I already have BE 11d and Exchange Agents, if this is a separate product/install can you provide me with the product #s for whatever is needed for CPS and CPS for Exchange?  On the BE 11d Agents and Options product pages I do not see any product for what I want.

Thank you.

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Bill,
You must click on the Download link and then you will see a list of different products under the Backup Exec 11d name - there will be one for CPS 32/64 bit.

JRink
Level 3
Bill,
Wow, I agree.  Finding out information about Continuous Protection with 11d was a nightmare.  I ended up having to come to the forums as well to find this out... thanks to your posting here to help provide the answer.

Why in the world CPS isn't even documented one bit in the Administration guide for Backup Exec 11d is anyones guess.  All it talks about is CPS for Exchange.  Same thing with the Help file.  it's not listed as a seperate software program on the Symantec support website either.  Heck, I didn't even know it was a seperate download until I saw this thread...

Symantec really frustrates me at times.
JR

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Hey, I understand your frustrations with the website - took me a few minutes to find the Admin guide link to give to you guys...   things will get better - just be patient.

Bill_Asher
Level 2
This exact reason has me wondering if the product is worth rolling out.  And is the support extensive enought to meet the needs of an issue that may arise.

There has to be a reason it is not readily available or high profile on the site.  There is just NO mention of it anywhere.

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Actually - Bill - CPS has been around for a long time - it was just called another name ...ex first it was Storage Replicator, then Replication Exec (which still sells today), and now we have CPS. All three of these products have the same code and infrastructure but CPS has a lot more "bells and whistles" if you know what I mean.

Though it may have the Backup Exec name on it - CPS is actually a very stable product.

Message Edited by Dean Bliss on 06-15-200703:37 PM

Bill_Asher
Level 2
Well that is very good to hear!  Now tell them to market it better :)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The word "though" in that sentence worries me somwhat!

Dean Bliss wrote:
Though it may have the Backup Exec name on it - CPS is actually a very stable product.

KevinR_DC
Level 3
it hasn't gotten any better.  I've been fighting with this on and off for months.  CPS was a breeze in the eval, but now that we're paying for it, I can't get anything to work.  This company's products are a joke.

jwoodpdx
Level 3
Thats disappointing to hear. I hadn't heard about this product until I saw the option to install it as part of the Backup Exec 2010 beta install. I was looking to find out more information about it and if it supports MS SQL 2005. Where did you download it?