cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Button Grayed Out When Testing DR Restore

mbjoe
Level 4

I'm trying to test a DR situation where one of our physical machines, being backed up with SDR on a LIVE BExec server, would crash and I would like to bring it back online as a virtual machine using a DR BExec server. Here is the braek down:

1) Physical machine is being backed up to disk with SDE enabled on our LIVE BExec Server

2) Convert to Point in Time is available on the LIVE BExec server

3) Add the same disk storage location to our DR BExec server, inventory and cataloug

4) The option to Convert is greyed out on the DR BExec server, how I can still restore file/folders as exepected

Has anyone run into the problem or know of a workaround? It would be VERY useful to have this available and save tons of time in a DR situation.

Our systems are all licensed with VMWare and Hyper-V so this is not the issue.

8 REPLIES 8

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does the DR Backupexec server have an access to a Virtual Envoirnment. It is required to have a HyperV or Vmware enviornment for that feature to work

mbjoe
Level 4

Yes it does, a Vcenter server is added as a storage location on the DR site Backup Exec.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

One of the requirements for this to work is that 'A conversion to a virtual machine from a point in time converts existing backupsets from a backup job in which the Simplified Disaster Recovery option was enabled'. Now since the backup was performed on a different server, you would also need the DR file information from the Live server.

You would find this Configuration and Settings-> Backup Exec Settings-> Simplified Disaster Recovery and 'Disaster Recovery path' Get the information from this path and put it in the path set for the DR server and see if that works.

mbjoe
Level 4

I just moved the .DR files over to the DR BExec server, and the option it still grayed out unfortunatly.

Even after running an inteventory/catalouge job again.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

I am not sure what might be happening. I will need some time in dig and see if we missed on something. Till then could you try to make a Full backup of any server from the BE DR server and see if you get the option to convert.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

You could try to get the bedb from the Live Server to the DR server.

1. Browse to Backup Exec\Data folder on the live server.
2. Locate and copy the bedb.bak file from here to the Backup Exec\Data fodler on the DR server.
3. On the DR Server locate and run beutility.exe from the Backup Exec folder.
4. Right Click the server name and use the option to recovery database -> drop existing reload from backup.

This should load all the job and settings of the Live Server on the DR Server. Once this is done see if the convert gets enabled.

mbjoe
Level 4

But this would not really make sense in a DR situation, when the LIVE server would be unaccessable.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you are refering to DR situation in your live enviornment, you till can get te bedb restored fom one of your backups. I was only suggesting this as a troubleshooting step for us to see if this fixes the problem.

I am researching this issue and will keep you posted.