Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Windows agent full backup to Virtual

naarmstrong
Level 4

Server info:

• Backup Server is "*****BEXEC1"
  • Virtual server named with "****JBNA1"  is a Gen 2 Hyper-v windows 2016 server

I have run a full successful backup on "*****JBNA1" and now trying to convert it to a virtual machine to do a restore with but revieve the following error saying the conversion of UEFI based computer is not supported.

Isnt all Hyperv virtual machines now UEFI based as the standard now days??

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture3.JPG

9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

FYI: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030693.html

I will check to see what plans we have to add support for this.

even ideas how to easily convert to non UEFIwould be appreciated as well.

I think it may have something to do with VM's when you select it to be a GEN1/Gen 2 or its to do with whether or not it is a VHD or a VHDX. Im not 100% sure.  But i thought UEFI should be the norm for x64 bit virtual machines. 

even ideas how to easily convert to non UEFIwould be appreciated as well.

I think it may have something to do with VM's when you select it to be a GEN1/Gen 2 or its to do with whether or not it is a VHD or a VHDX. Im not 100% sure.  But i thought UEFI should be the norm for x64 bit virtual machines. 

I have tried to find an alternative by doing the Simplified Disaster Recovery booting a blank hyperv machine with the iso.

Connect to the backup exec server with it and select the latest backup to restore from.

The job gets stuck at the last image.

Capture01.JPGresotring data stuck0.pngresotring data stuck.png

Attatched are screenshots of the logs

BEDRWIZ log.JPGhardware_discovery log.JPG

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

With regards the issue with SDR restore, I would recommend you to open a support case so we can review all the logs to see why this is not working.

I would but veritas doesn't allow purchasing support by phone or email for the "not for resale" perpetual licence of the product that is available to non-for-profit organisations. Technical Support is only available through the veritas forums

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

I would but veritas doesn't allow purchasing support by phone or email for the "not for resale" perpetual licence of the product that is available to non-for-profit organisations. Technical Support is only available through the veritas forums

Apologies, I obviously wasn't aware of that.

How long did you wait when it got to the screen where the restore starts (where it says Restoring Data)?

If restore does not start after, say, 5-10mins, I would cancel and then collect logs from Utilities/Gather Logs for Support. Please attach logs here and I will take a look for you.

Can you confirm what operating system you are attempting to restore here.

Got it resolved and wrote solutions i issues i experienced getting the SDR to work.

1. Screenshot showing no data is written when kicking off the SDR restore

• It is to do with the disks already having partitions created and corrupted causing the issue. Format the drive to be either MBR/GPT matching the format from the image but more importanting make sure its unallocated like shown in the picture.

So If the above Disk 0 looks like the below with partitions then reformat the above disk so its Unallocated before proceeding.

SDR format.png

2.Another error i got was that it wasnt happy with the firmware when selecting the backup to restore from within the SDR boot iso. This is related to the Generation of the blank VM being Gen1 or Gen2 you are restoring onto. If your backup of the server:

• was a Gen 1 server you must create a blank Gen 1 hyperv VM to restore onto.
  • was a Gen 2 server you must create a blank Gen 2 hyperv VM to restore onto.

@criley

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

Good to hear that you have managed to get this working, albeit with a manual workaround.

I don't have a good answer for you at the moment on the above question. I have however raised this internally for discussion. If I get anything further on this, I will come back to you.