Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to virtual from Point-In-Time failed 0xe000846a

Szymon_Sypniews
Level 2

Dear All,

I need help.

Our environment:

Source server - physical server Windows 2003 SP2, Basic disk (not dynamic) - partitioned to C: E:, SQLExpress.

Media server - Windows 2008 R2, Hyper-V role, BackupExec 2012 SP3, NAS connected via iSCSI

Destination - Virtual Machine on Media server

We are trying to migrate physical server to Hyper-V Virtual Machine using BackupExec 2012.

First i made full backup to disk of Source machine - SDR on - successfull.

Then convert to virtual machine from Point-In-Time.

Selected Point-In-Time: C:,E:, System State, SQLExpress

Convert to Virtual - Options - Conversion settings: In Virtual machine options field on Disk Configuration tab we have only one drive (Disk 0 Boot, System, Dynamically Expanding) - is it correct - Source machine has C and E?

Job Completion status:

Job ended: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 10:47:36 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33898

Errors:

Duplicate- 02s012.san.com
Unable to attach to \\02s012.san.com\E:.
V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to ...
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...

On Media Server in Hyper-V manager - new Virtual machine is created. On disk we have Virtual machine configurations files and one *.VHD file.

Virtual machine is starting but only with System drive C:

I'm thinking about restore drive E: from full backup to virtal disk connected to destination virtal machine.

But I am not sure if this convertion (only system) will be working fine.

I would like to resolve this issue with your help.

Many thanks for your help.

Szymon   

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Szymon,

Here are the answers to your queries.

Convert to Virtual - Options - Conversion settings: In Virtual machine options field on Disk Configuration tab we have only one drive (Disk 0 Boot, System, Dynamically Expanding) - is it correct - Source machine has C and E?

--> If the physical server has only 1 hard drive with 2 volumes (C: & E:) created on it then the Disk Configuration tab will report only 1 drive. It is according to the number of hard drive connected to the server and not as per the number of volumes.

Virtual machine is starting but only with System drive C:

I'm thinking about restore drive E: from full backup to virtal disk connected to destination virtal machine.

But I am not sure if this convertion (only system) will be working fine.

--> it seems that from the information that you have provided the VM is up and running and you are trying to virtulize only the E: drive. That is not possible. Backup Exec is designed to convert the complete physical machine to virtual and not part by part. Though you can select only the C: drive and System State the VM will be up and running. But you can not convert only E: drive.

Hope the information is clear.

Regards,

-Sush...