Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to virtual from point in time grayed out

gwc42
Level 2

Hello,

I use BE 2012 in a Hyper-V environment.

I am performing a test disaster recovery exercise under the scenario that our datacenter has been destroyed in a fire.  I have tapes, a server, and a tape drive in an off site location that will be used for the restore.

I have gone through the following steps.

1) Backup to disk and then duplicate to tape using our primary BE server 

2) Tape has been taken off site

3) Simulated fire

4) Installed BE 2012 on off site server

5) Inventoried and cataloged off site tape on the newly created BE server

6) I can see the servers I have backed up and can perform normal restores but the option to convert to virtual is grayed out.  If I go to the same server on our primary BE server, the option is available.

I figure I have missed a step.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Gary

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your DR site, do you have a Hyper-V server?  If not, you cannot convert anything to virtual.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi See if this is the case mention in link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190054 Thanks

gwc42
Level 2

Thank you pkh and Sameer.

Yes, we do have a Hyper-V server in the DR site.  I will also mention that if I look on our current BE server, the option is there.

Sameer, the OS of the server that I am trying to convert is Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Another thing to note.  When I look at the server list on the DR BE server, the status of each of the servers that appeared after I rand the inventory and catalog shows "Never backed up"  I don't know if this has anything to do with it.  Even thiough this is the case I can do restores.  I just can't convert.

Gary

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi It would be good to backup small file and then see if that option is enabled or still greyed out. Thanks for your response

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

Sorry to bring this back up, but I have this issue and I am at a DR Site, trying to bring a few servers backup after the SDR failed.

Anyway I can work around getting this Convert to DR option to work? I have tested it on site and it worked fine, but I am having the same issues as listed above.

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

Update; I have found that as long as another machine is on your network with the same name it then un-greys out the option and you can restore.