cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Job in Backup Exec

azad
Level 2
Hi,
I have various servers running SQL and they each do there own SQL backup to local .BAK files. Currently these files are included in the Weekly and Daily backups to our backup server and so become part of the .bkf files and then are duplicated to tape. This works no problem but I think adds more time than necessary.

Does Backup Exec 11d have a function where I can copy the *.BAK files without doing a backup of them and then duplicate that copy to tape? From what I have read this can only be achieved via a scheduled robocopy or something similar but then I don't see how the duplicate would work.

For the time being getting Backup Exec to do the actual SQL backups is not an option but it is something which is being proposed.

The reason that I do not want to backup the *.BAK files is that the restore procedure then becomes longer and the backup is longer as well I assume as Backup Exec will try to compress the files, or will this not be the case with compression completely disabled?

Thanks
Azad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kevin_c
Level 4
Would setting up a seperate Backup 2 Disk folder/Media Set and  backup/duplicate job help? This would segregate your backup data/media for faster restore. If you still want to copy the SQL BAK file(s) first you can include a PreCommand with the new backup job using RoboCopy. Then just backup the file from the destination.

I would wonder if backing up the remote resource with Backup Exec first is faster than robocopying the file. The BE Remote Agent on the remote resource pre-processes the files being backed up to help reduce the load on the network and your backup server.

kevin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Amith
Level 3
No, If you select compression as NONE in the backup job , no compression will be performed. You cannot copy the .BAK files using BEWS.

Amith

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Does Backup Exec 11d have a function where I can copy the *.BAK files without doing a backup of them and then duplicate that copy to tape?

Backup Exec is a backup software, it will not work like robocopy.

Rather I would suggest you to go for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for SQL Server so that you can backup the SQL databases on disk and duplicate it on TAPES, this will save lot of time in Backups and restore.

Hope this helps..

kevin_c
Level 4
Would setting up a seperate Backup 2 Disk folder/Media Set and  backup/duplicate job help? This would segregate your backup data/media for faster restore. If you still want to copy the SQL BAK file(s) first you can include a PreCommand with the new backup job using RoboCopy. Then just backup the file from the destination.

I would wonder if backing up the remote resource with Backup Exec first is faster than robocopying the file. The BE Remote Agent on the remote resource pre-processes the files being backed up to help reduce the load on the network and your backup server.

kevin