Copying jobs and media sets from one 12.0 server to another 12.5 server

Znakecharm
Level 2

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

For historical reasons (mergers) we currently have two media servers

server1 (Win 2003SP2 32-bit) is running BE 12.0 and has a tape library attached

server2 (Win 2008SP2 64-bit) is running BE 12.5 and only does backup to disk

wanting to consolidate this into one, we need a way to export information (jobs, selection lists, media sets, etc) from server1 and import it on server2 WITHOUT destroying the information already residing on the BE 12.5 on server2.

So far I have only been able to find solutions describing how to move all of BE to another box ... not how to integrate the two.

Can this be done through BEutility ?

I have tried in BEutility to add the other media server manually, but it doesn't recoqnize the other as a valid media server (tried both from 12.5 to 12 and the other way)

Any ideas ... or is there perhaps a very simple way to do this ?

I would prefer not having to upgrade server1 to 12.5, but if I have to ... can I upgrade it to a demo version of 12.5 since I only have the 12.5 license for server2

Once all this is completed, the objective is to upgrade server2 to 2010.

Best regards,

Znakecharm

11 REPLIES 11

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You cannot merge the database from 2 versions of BE, not even from the same version of BE

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Any job in Server1 that backs up data from Server1 itself cannot be transferred to Server2.  When you consolidate to Server2, Server1 will be a remote server to Server2 and all your file selections will be different and hence the old selections cannot be used.  It would be easier to re-create them.

When Server1 becomes a remote server to Server2, you would need to buy a remote agent for it.

/* edit */  If you want to use your tape drive, you got to move it to Server2 after the consolidation.

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

BEX 12.0 and 12.5 uses the same license so there's nothing stopping you there.

However, I don't think there's a feature to merge two databases and I assume this has to be done manually.

Sush---
Level 6

You can follow the following technote to copy the jobs and selection list from one server to another.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22413 : Copying jobs, selection lists, or policies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22410 : Copy to Media Server options

But you can cannot copy Media set from one server to another.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Znakecharm
Level 2

the backup of server1 itself is not a problem. The problem is the 15-20 other servers that are backed up from server 1 smiley. I don't mind manually creating a job for a single server.

The license for the remote agent is not a problem either.

Question is .... can it be done ?

If i right-click on the job definitions on the 12.0 server, there is an option "Copy", where I can copy the job to the same or another media server. Problem there is that the "other media server" option is greyed out.

Is the reason that it doesn't see the other server that it is another version ?

Should I upgrade server1 to 12.5 first .. and if so ... can I upgrade it to a temporary demo license ?

Since server1 is no longer going to be a backup server, BackupExec will be uninstalled afterwards.

Sush---
Level 6

Just a small correction here. Backup Exec 12.0 and 12.5 does not use the same licenses. Let me explain more on this:

You can use BE 12.5 license in BE12.0

But you can not use BE 12.0 license in BE12.5

Thanks,

-Sush...

Znakecharm
Level 2

hey Sush

There is no doubt that the method in HOWTO22410 is the one I need to use, however ...

When I select copy, the option to copy to another media server is disabled.

I'm not sure if it is because of the different versions of BE ?

Therefore ... Do I need to upgrade server1 to 12.5 first ?

and if so ... can I upgrade it to a demo version with the purpose of deinstalling BE from server1 once all is complete ?

Thanks,

znake...

Avinash_Kavde
Level 2
Employee

Hi 

Do you want to migrate the information from BE 12 to BE 12.5.

There is a way where you can try to perform it but its not a guranteed fix.

Follow this article 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137015&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Make sure that you follow the manual migration after upgrade part.I understand that its not an upgrade but followup the steps to get all the jobs,media sets,job history,media sets,policies,selection list.

Basically everything you had configured on the old media server.

Let me know if this works.

Sush---
Level 6

Checkout this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44368 : When attempting to copy a selection list, policy or backup job from one Media server to another Media server, the option for 'Copy to other media servers' is grayed out.

This could be the reson why the "Copy to another Media Server" option is grade out because youmay now have installed "Copy Server Configuration option". You do not require any other license to install this license.

Note: The screenshots in the technote may vary as per the version of BE. But the wording remains the same.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sush ...

Does this procedure merge the data from the source server to the destination server, or does it replace the data?    The OP wants to merge the data onto his single new server

Sush---
Level 6

When we copy the jobs/selection list/ policy from one media server to another it adds the copied data to the destination media server. The previous data on the destination media server will remain as it is.

So in actual it merges the data in the destination Media server.

Thanks,

-Sush...