cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying settings

NetCertPro
Level 3

Currently we have upgraded to a new server with 2008 R2 Standard that is suppose to house Backup Exec 12.5 on our network.  I was wondering if there is a way to backup the config on the old server and set it up on the new server without re-entering the backup jobs, types, and so forth?  The only thing that has changed is the old server (2008 Std) that has the main console of Backup Exec is getting replaced by a new server (2008 R2 Std).  On this server, exchange is not present.  Exchange is housed on a different server which hasn't changed also if that changes anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should be able to upgrade from BE 12.5 no problems. If your jobs are already set up, then it would carry all that information across during the upgrade.

That said, in BEutility.exe there is a utility to Copy Media Settings. If you use this on the server with BE 12.5, you should be able to export those settings. You can then Apply Media Settings (I think that is the option...not in front of BE now), and that would apply those settings to BE 2010.

I am really surprised though, that you managed to get BE 12.5 installed on Win2K8 R2!

Craig

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

As I understand you had BE 12.5 on old server & now you will like to migrate all job on new server were you have installed BE 2010 or new server also has BE 12.5

Yes if you are planning to do that it is possible

Note BE 12.5 is not supported as Media server on win2008 r2

Thank You

NetCertPro
Level 3

That is correct, Im just trying to migrate settings.  The new server has BE 12.5 but Im thinking it needs BE 2010 because when I took a quick look at it, I cant see my SQL databases or I cant see the Information Store on the exchange server which is named "mail".  The server we are currently talking about here is called our "fileserver".

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As already said, BE 12.5 is not supported on Win 2008 R2. So it is bound that you will face many issues like the one you mentioned of not able to see Information Store or SQL databases.

Now that you already have BE 12.5 on Win 2008 R2 server, download and install BE 2010 R2. Ideally this should be a smooth process and BE 12.5 should be upgraded to BE 2010 R2. But as BE 12.5 is not coded for Win 2008 R2, you may face problems during upgrade process in which case you will have to uninstall complete Backup Exec from Win 2008 R2 and then install a fresh copy of BE 2010 R2.

You can download BE 2010 R2 from the following link:

www.backupexec.com

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should be able to upgrade from BE 12.5 no problems. If your jobs are already set up, then it would carry all that information across during the upgrade.

That said, in BEutility.exe there is a utility to Copy Media Settings. If you use this on the server with BE 12.5, you should be able to export those settings. You can then Apply Media Settings (I think that is the option...not in front of BE now), and that would apply those settings to BE 2010.

I am really surprised though, that you managed to get BE 12.5 installed on Win2K8 R2!

Craig

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need new licence keys when you upgrade to BE 2010.  Before you do the upgrade, stop all the BE services and the BE database instance and make a copy of the Data and Catalog folders in case of any failures during the upgrade process.

NetCertPro
Level 3

Thanks everyone...  This helps me alot!