cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct Backup Schedule

ksdst1
Level 5

Hello,

I have W2008 R2 with BEX 2012 and I had been using a backup scheme for B2D2T somewhat sucessfully but now I think it may not be practical and I can use some advice.  To start, I have read many TECH articles and other posts about Overwrite Protection, Append Period, and DLM and still am not sure of the best approach.

Basically, I have a file server with 4.54TB and a backup array with 4.54TB.  I was thinking the best approach would be to run a full back up at the end of every week and incrementals during the week.  Then I'd run a tape duplicate of the last full backup of the month so I can store that offsite; The job is to run a full backup every 1 week on Saturday at 11:45PM, an Incremental bkup evey 1 week on Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri at 11:45PM, and then a Duplicate last full backup on Last Sunday of every 1 month at 11:59PM.  

This worked well until the tape backup got stuck and ran over into another part of the job which probably didn't play nice with the over write periods, etc.  In addition, the capacity of the full backup has increased so that now I can only hold 1 full backup and incrementals on the backup disk.  Before I could have 2 fullbackups including incrementals.  

Is it better to try and modigy the Overwrite Prot, Append Period, DLM features to allow the full backup to be able to overwrite the older full backup and incremental archive files?  I'm not even sure where to change these settings for B2D.  

Or is it a good "best practices" to do one Full backup at the beginning of the month and merely do incrementals until the end of the month when I'd run the Duplicate of the last full to Tape?  

My goal is to be able to run restores throughout the time in between the monthly Duplicate to tape of the last Full backup to archive.  

Thoughts?? (and I would please prefer comments as opposed to merely links to theoretical TECH articles explaining what Overwrite Prot, Append Period and DLM are)..

ps...i'm not using deduplication.

Tnx!

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I know you ask for comments, but any comments would not be meaningful if you do not have a good understanding what you are dealing with.

To start off, you need to read these to understand DLM better.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ja/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

There is only one setting for DLM and that is the retention period.  You got to figure out what retention period is good for you based on the size of your backup sets and the size of your disk storage.

As for tapes, read this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

Read my article below to decide which backup scheme is best for you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/pros-and-cons-various-backup-schemes

If you decide to do one full backup and then incremental for the rest of the month, bear in mind that when you do a restore, you need to restore ALL the incremental backups since the last full backup plus the full backup.  Imagine what would happen if you need to restore something on the 30th of the month assuming that the full backup is done on the 1st.

Also, bear in mind, that DLM keep the entire backup chain, so you have to have sufficient storage for that.

ksdst1
Level 5

Hello,

Tnx for the reply.  I have just gotten back to this.  After reading all the suggested Tech articles and more, I've come to realize that for my needs (full backup to Disk each Sunday, incrementals M-F, and duplicate to Tape from the last Full backup) that the F1 and Inc1 M-F can not be overwritten until F2 is completed b/c of end of chain, etc.  

Can you clearify if included in my Job, Full/Incremental/Duplicat to tape (at end of month) means that the Dup to tape at the end of the month is considered the "end of chain" and therefore nothing can be overwritten/reclaimed until the Dup to tape at the end of the month is completed?  

Is there a way to have BEX not include Dup to tape as a part of the chain, as it is merely a copy of a Full Bkup for archiving off site?

tnx.. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A duplicate job is not part of the backup chain.