cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct way to add NAS storage to backup exec??

LithiumKid1976
Level 3

hi

im having issue with adding nas storage to backup exec 10d.

im using iomega device.

so when setting it up, i gave it a static ip address.

then in symantec backup exec, i set it up and add the new backup to disk folder and i point to  the name of the Nas box, for example....

\\online_bk\NASBK\Backup-to-Disk Folder 1 .

i then run a backup and all is fine, then after a few hours, the backup to disks folder goes offline, and cant be brought back on line. you can still ping the nas device by the ip address, and access all the folders , but not by the hostname. and when that happens, you cant point  backup exec to the folder destination via the ip address. this is running on server 2003.

so im just wondering what going wrong, have i missed a step or something??

THanks

TLK76

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LithiumKid1976
Level 3

hi craigv

thanks for that reply, what sorted it out for me in the end, was that there was no forward /reverse lookup records created by that device when i joined it to the domain.

once i created this, i was able to sucessfully add the network storage based on its hostname.

thanks for your input though.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I take it that you verified that your NAS is supported on the BE 10d HCL? If not, chances are good it's not going to work very well. In this case I'd recommend at least upgrading to a version that does support it.

It's not to say it won't work, but it will be an unsupported configuration from Symantec's side of things.

Thanks!

LithiumKid1976
Level 3

hi craigv

thanks for that reply, what sorted it out for me in the end, was that there was no forward /reverse lookup records created by that device when i joined it to the domain.

once i created this, i was able to sucessfully add the network storage based on its hostname.

thanks for your input though.

teiva-boy
Level 6

For the most part, only Windows clients create DNS records when they get registered into AD.  Outside of that, most everything else you need to manually create DNS entries.  Welcome to the world of Windows!