cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt files

v-2gani
Level 3

Hi TEAM,

In this technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5633 a registry change has been suggested , but just had a query, after creating this key in the registry will it still backup the file which was reported as corrupt..??? i am facing the corrupt file error while backing up the .pst ....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It should, but note that after the registry change, BE will backup corrupt files without failing.  If there are really files which are corrupt, then you would not know about them.

BE 9 is very very old.  You should plan to upgrade to the latest version which is BE 2010 R3.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you make the registry change, then your job will not fail if it encounters a corrupt file.  It will just back it up.

In your case, you should turn on AOFO to backup your .pst file.

v-2gani
Level 3

The version of backup exec we use is older,  version 9 actually...i guess that does not have AOFO...but will the registry change still help in backing up the file as well as a successfull backup....??

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Its not a good practice to have that registry key , are you getting error about the corrupt data on the exchange backup or is it on a normal file server backup.

The first thing which you should check is if the file or email is really corrupt , try backing it up via NT backup . If it is corrupt I guess you should delete that file or email . If you have the set the registry to not fail the job on corrupt file the backup set would ignore those files and you would have issue during the restore .It might also happen that you exchange database backup fail with same error stating the file is corrupt and because of the registry key the backup would state that it is successful , but the data which it has is not good and cannot be restored.

Considering you   have a corrupted email file that is causing the Exchange backup of your mail to fail. You have two options.

1. delete the corrupt email.
2. not have any valid backups of your emails.

If you choose option 1, this is the file you need to delete: <enter filepath here>. If you choose option 2, if the exchange server fails, or you somehow lose your mailbox, we will not be able to restore it and you will have lost all or some  your emails , I mean that you cannot be assure that you are backing up vaild data which can be restored.

What version of backup exec are you running ?

If you are getting error on the exchange backup check for the following .

1. make sure you are running Grt backup , if you are doing a brick level backup then there would be many instance where the backup may fail because of corrupt email

2. make sure you dont use AOFO in the exchange backup

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It should, but note that after the registry change, BE will backup corrupt files without failing.  If there are really files which are corrupt, then you would not know about them.

BE 9 is very very old.  You should plan to upgrade to the latest version which is BE 2010 R3.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The version of backup exec which you are running is old, so it would good if you upgrade to version 11d or higher so you can backup exchange using GRT . When you do a brick level backup of exchange , the backup is ideally slow and many a times it fails if it find a corrupt email .

The registry chage  would  just flag the backup as succesfull even it wasn't (since it backed up corrupt data).

This might help getting the backup to finnish, but it's not a satisfying solution in my opinion.

and non of the backup job would be reported as failed on corrupt files