cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt job stuck in "Running" state - cannot be deleted

Iain_Turnbull
Level 2
I have several Managed Media Servers (MMS) reporting back to a Central Admin Server (CASO). All are running 10.1.5629.0 under Win2K Server SP4. The CASO server is installed using MS SQL Server 2000 SP3.

Each MMS server has it's own tape drive. The jobs are then set up on the CASO server to backup each individual server to it's own tape drive overnight, with a full backup - it's a very simple setup.

One of the jobs hung over the Xmas period, and was manually cancelled. The scheduled job for the following night then appeared in the Job Monitor of the CASO server, as expected. The following day, it was marked as "Running", but was the same colour as the scheduled tasks - it had not gone into the brighter blue of an active job. If I right-click on it, I am not given the option to cancel the job.

I cannot delete the job, as it tells me the job is running. Similarly, I am not allowed to edit the job setup, or even delete the server from the CASO server to revert it to stand-alone status - everything I try is blocked as BE thinks it is a running job.

I have rebooted both the MMS and CASO servers (several times), to no avail. I have tried disabling the services on the MMS server, disabling the communication between the CASO server and the MMS server, and disabling the tape drive. Nothing works.

I have also tried cancelling the job from the command line using bemcmd, but it returns a status of -1.

I really need a solution to this - any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

Wes_Miller
Level 4
restart all the backup services it will clear. I have an issue every once in while I need to cancel a job or I notice it is in a running state and not doing anything. Reboot the server or restart the services and it clears up. Of course only if you have the ability to restart. Some shops have various backups going all day and night in a bunch of segmented jobs so this would be disruptive.

Hope this helps.

Iain_Turnbull
Level 2
Hi Wes,

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said, I have already rebooted both of the involved servers, several times.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
When you rebooted did you remove power from the server and the tape drive, if that fails try rebooting with the tape drive powered down.

Iain_Turnbull
Level 2
It is an internal tape drive at a remote site, so powering up without the drive will be awkward, to say the least - can no-one from Symantec give me a way of manually removing the job from SQL, or something similar?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
shut down your server and remove the plug.

Iain_Turnbull
Level 2
OK, managed to get down to the site and powered down the server completely, and unplugged it as advised. It is now back up, and still stuck in the same state. Anyone have any other ideas? It's very frustrating, and quite worrying - I can't even remove it from the CASO server, as this stuck job prevents the server from being deleted.