cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Files during Exchange GRT Backup (JCB.DLL)

br_nar
Level 3
While investigation my another issue (see http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-2007-non-grt-backup-22x-times-faster-grt-backup) I noticed that during Exchange GRT backup, some DLL's are transfered to the IMGxxxxxx subfolder of the Backup-to-disk folder:

While ESE.DLL, ESE32.DLL and EXCHMEM.DLL are transferred correctly, the file JCB.DLL is not transferred correctly!
The original filesize is 35.592 bytes, while the target file is 63.468 bytes.
During this Exchange GRT-backup I used Sysinternals' Process Monitor to investigate what was happening:
  • BEREMOTE.EXE on the client reads the file JCB.DLL from the 'x:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin' folder
  • It sends the file over the network using the BackupExec protocol
  • BEREMOTE.EXE on the server writes the file JCB.DLL in the IMGxxxxxx subfolder
When opening the properties of the file, it shows the same file contents (author, version, timestamps...), but because of the change in file size, the digital signature is suddenly invalid. (obvious, since digital signatures are a means to verify the authenticity of a file and to detect if a file was tampered or not).
All subsequent GRT-backups create there own IMGxxxxxx folder, and all of the files have the same error. (a binary file comparision shows they are all identical, but incorrect).
If I truncate the file to the correct size of 35.592 bytes, it binary identical to the source file.
The contents of the file are transferred correctly, but for some reason, the file size is written incorrectly.

I personally do not NEED this JCB.DLL file, but I'm concerned that if this file is transferred incorrectly, there might be other files that are suffer the same error.
The JCB.DLL in this case is the Microsoft signed file (not to be confused with the Symantec signed JCB.DLL file).

I'm running the following:
* Backup Exec 12.5 incl Service Pack 3 + the latest hotfixes
* Windows Server 2008
* Exchange Server 2007 with Service Pack 2 + Hotfix Rollup 1
* Exchange Management Tools on the Backup Server are at the same Service Pack + rollup level

I verified the existance of the JCB.DLL files on the Exchange Server and Backup Server according to http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293854.htm, but this article seems inappropriate since the folder does not exist on an  Exchange 2007 server and/or Backup Server. I did however copy the JCB.DLL file to the 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin' folder on the Management server, but the problem persists.

The JCB.DLL file in my case has internal version 8.2.217.2 (digitally signed at 11/9/2009 by Microsoft Corporation)

Kind regards,
  Br_nar
0 REPLIES 0