cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create IDR Diskettes

rufus52
Level 2

In 10.X on the IDR Wizard there was a option to create Diskettes which gave you the ASR files needed for a WIN 2003 Server.  On 12.5 I do not see this option, how are we to create the ASR disks needed for WIN Server 03 now?

4 REPLIES 4

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

From the Help file:

"Backup Exec automatically creates a *.dr file for the IDR-protected computer when it is backed up and stores it in the default location on the media server's hard drive, which is: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\idr\Data\.dr "

rufus52
Level 2

I know where the *.dr file exists, but are they saying the drive partition information, etc., that Symantec said you had to have the Windows ASR disks for in previous versions, are no longer needed in version 12.5 because the *.dr contains this info and will create everything in a Windows 2003 environment exactly the way it was upon restoral?  Correct Partitions etc.?  At this point I do not have a spare 2003 server to test this on, and don't want to have to find out in a Disaster Recovery situation that I am missing something. 

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Yes, the .dr file contains all that information. Just so you know though, you do not need that .dr disk to use IDR. If you have any tape, by choosing manual (automatic uses that .dr disk), it will scan the tape and you can choose what partitions to recover.

I also sent you a private message.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
Just to add a bit more detail: You do not need to create the ASR diskettes anymore in 12.5. IDR in 12.5 is completely revamped to run on a preboot environment as opposed to 10.X where it used to install the windows operating system. In 12.5 it boots the windows operating system from the IDR CD media, instead of installing it.

The ASR files ( asr.sif & asrpnp.sif ) are embedded inside the .DR file and will be extracted and used by the IDR recovery wizard when disk layout recreation process occurs.