cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create vmdk or vhdx from backup BE 2012 SP4

soulseeker
Level 4

Hi there,

just a quick question - is it possible to create a vmdk or vhdx-file directly from backup exec for usage in e.g. local vmware or hyper-v? I know that I can convert to esx or hyper-v server but sometimes I like it better to create a local copy from an older backup.

I remember that there was a tool from symantec that I used in the past for creating virtual machines from running servers ...

Regards

Marcel

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no such tool in BE 2012. (You may have used VMware Converter). However, if you can use B2V conversion which allows you select older backup sets (provided they were SSP enabled) and choose them for conversion.

soulseeker
Level 4

Hi there,

Yes, I can choose them for conversion but I can only convert them to esx or hyperv-server ... I tried this yesterday, it works, but I don't want to but a machine for testing purposes on or productive esx ... a local vm for my vmware would be far better for quick checks.

Sorry, what do you mean by SSP?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

By SSP, I meant Simplified System Protection (Full backups which have the green light of SSP on)

You can always export the VM from the production host to your machine for testing. Apart from this option, then you may have to consider non-BE tools for VHD/VMDK conversions.

soulseeker
Level 4

Ok, the green light in BE2012 is called "simplified disaster recovery", I guess we are talking about the same thing?

I tried to avoid the step of moving the backup to the production host, because it fills up my luns and it is always a problem to reclaim the wasted disc space ... 

VJware
Level 6

Yes, SDR/SSP is pretty much the same thing. Consider using VMware Converter for your purpose of creating VMs for local testing usage.