cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Component List for SDR - changed in BE2014?

Dipesh
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded my BE2012 to BE2014.  Earlier in BE2012, I was able to create SDR backup with just selecting my C partition and System State, and then for my data drives, I was running seperate instances for simple file backup.  Now, in BE2014, selection requirement for SDR seems to be changed, and I need to select all partitions for SDR indicator to turn green.

Is it there like this, or I am mistaking any?

~Dipesh

PS: Media Server is Windows 2008 (32b), the server I am backing up are Windows 2008 32b and 64b.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can exclude these drives using the procedure in this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223963

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you installed anything else (with footprint on the other volumes)?

For instance I started a driver from a USB disk where the driver gave the facility to mount ISO images as volume letters - that was enough to get the USB disk marked as critical for SDR (which I did not want)

It is possible to work out why a volume is critical but you need to look at debug logs to do it and it is not immediately obvious even when looking at the logs

EDIT:

Whilst there might be other debug lines that could also cause it (so this is only a partial help), if you debug beremote on the system concerned and then restart the remote agent service, the debug log will contain multiple entries (in a block together) that contain something similar to:

Critical System Service:'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<name>' - Start Type:'n' - Volume Path:'<reference to volume letter and path>' 

If you review all the lines of this format carefully you might well be able to identify the reason.

Note:

You should also see

- at  least one debug line for "Critical System Volume Path"

- one entry for "Critical Boot Volume Path"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that something is added to the registry which indicates that these disks are needed for the recovery of the server

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can exclude these drives using the procedure in this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223963

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you installed anything else (with footprint on the other volumes)?

For instance I started a driver from a USB disk where the driver gave the facility to mount ISO images as volume letters - that was enough to get the USB disk marked as critical for SDR (which I did not want)

It is possible to work out why a volume is critical but you need to look at debug logs to do it and it is not immediately obvious even when looking at the logs

EDIT:

Whilst there might be other debug lines that could also cause it (so this is only a partial help), if you debug beremote on the system concerned and then restart the remote agent service, the debug log will contain multiple entries (in a block together) that contain something similar to:

Critical System Service:'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<name>' - Start Type:'n' - Volume Path:'<reference to volume letter and path>' 

If you review all the lines of this format carefully you might well be able to identify the reason.

Note:

You should also see

- at  least one debug line for "Critical System Volume Path"

- one entry for "Critical Boot Volume Path"

Dipesh
Level 3

Hi,

I followed the steps as in tech document, and now SDR indicator remains green for C drive and System State selected.

Thanks.

However, I need to check why it understands as critical componant.

~Dipesh

Dipesh
Level 3

Hi,

I understand the concern.  Well, can you please guide me about how to collect debug logs?  I tried with 'collect debug output', but could not restart the remote agent service (in BE2012, there was option to start/stop individual service but its not there in BE2014).

~Dipesh

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Go to Services and start/stop the BE services