Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about the whole active/passive copy of DB for exchange issue

Gossett
Level 6

I'm just curious about the following error:

passive.png

I get it alot (and i'm sure a lot of people do given the KB articles). I'm just curious if the VSS process itself does something to the EDB. I switched it back to active only , fails otherwise and it works. Just curios if anyone knows exactly why it happens.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Something was changed in Exchange 2007 SP1 that affected the ability of multiple backup products (not just BE) being able to reliably backup from the Passive Copy, Microsoft eventually claimed they had fixed it with an update, however, our tests showed it was not fixed.  The issue was always intermittemt (i.e. sometimes the job would work sometimes it would fail without any changes being made)

As our engineering team do not know exactly what was changed I dounbt if anyone except Microsoft can really say why the problem happens.

As such (and bearing in mind Exchange 2007 is 2 versions away from current) just accept the fact that we are stating if you see problems with backing up from the Passive Copy then change the setting to Active Copy only (or change to Exchange 2010 or later that also does not have the same problem, mainly because the DAG setup is completely different from LCR/CCR etc) This issue is almost certainly never going to be fixed.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61607

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Something was changed in Exchange 2007 SP1 that affected the ability of multiple backup products (not just BE) being able to reliably backup from the Passive Copy, Microsoft eventually claimed they had fixed it with an update, however, our tests showed it was not fixed.  The issue was always intermittemt (i.e. sometimes the job would work sometimes it would fail without any changes being made)

As our engineering team do not know exactly what was changed I dounbt if anyone except Microsoft can really say why the problem happens.

As such (and bearing in mind Exchange 2007 is 2 versions away from current) just accept the fact that we are stating if you see problems with backing up from the Passive Copy then change the setting to Active Copy only (or change to Exchange 2010 or later that also does not have the same problem, mainly because the DAG setup is completely different from LCR/CCR etc) This issue is almost certainly never going to be fixed.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61607

Gossett
Level 6

great, thanks for the information!