cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current operation - none

Pechar
Level 3

Hello,

I am experiencing strange problems with my backup equipement. My scheduled backup job starts as scheduled, but the status is "none" for a whole period of time and than the job is auto canceled. Robotic library shows IDLE status.

I have to unload tape from drive via library controls and than the job immediately starts.

No warnings, no errors, NONE :) What should be the problem here?

Thanks for tips!

Vojtech

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pechar,

Couple of things you can do:

1. Update the firmware for that backup device, along with the BE drivers and make sure you're using the Symantec drivers. You can confirm this in Device Manager!

2. Uninstall the backup device completely from both BE and Windows, and disconnect it after turning it off. Restart the server, and make sure that the device doesn't show up. Shut down the server, connect the backup device and turn it on. Let it initialise, and then turn on the server. Once it starts up, run ghr Device Configuration Wizard from within BE and install the Symantec drivers. Try the failed operation again.

3. If those don't work, then get the manufacturer's utility for the drive and check for errors.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What happens when run an inventory on the robotic library.

Do you see any errors in the windows event viewer related to hardware.

CraigV

...any alerts in Backup Exec prompting for action?

Pechar
Level 3

no alerts

Pechar
Level 3

Another strange thing is that I dont see the tape on the drive although it is still physically loaded.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see the tape device in the windows device manager.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What was the status of your tape library during that time?

Is your RSM service stopped and disabled? (if server 2003)

Regardss...

Pechar
Level 3

Yes, autoloader and drive are present and device manager status is OK

CraigV

Hi Pechar,

Couple of things you can do:

1. Update the firmware for that backup device, along with the BE drivers and make sure you're using the Symantec drivers. You can confirm this in Device Manager!

2. Uninstall the backup device completely from both BE and Windows, and disconnect it after turning it off. Restart the server, and make sure that the device doesn't show up. Shut down the server, connect the backup device and turn it on. Let it initialise, and then turn on the server. Once it starts up, run ghr Device Configuration Wizard from within BE and install the Symantec drivers. Try the failed operation again.

3. If those don't work, then get the manufacturer's utility for the drive and check for errors.

Thanks!

Pechar
Level 3

No, it is running. Should I disable it?

Pechar
Level 3

No errors

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes stop it and disable it.

In many cases RSM is creating problems for BE (For some other bkup softwares also) in communicating/controlling with tape devices.

Regards...

Pechar
Level 3

Invertory starts and seems to run forever...

Pechar
Level 3

Thanks for the tip. I will report if it change something.

Pechar
Level 3

No luck. Tape disapears after backup job and I have to move it manualy to continue with other job.

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

What kind of library are you using?

I know you have testing software for HP libraries (HP LTT).

Pechar
Level 3

DELL PV-124T