cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D2D2T advice

ddorton
Level 4
I have been using Backup Exect for about 1.5 years now with a single LTO-2 tape drive.  I am planning on adding an LTO-4 drive to the system to handle our weekly and monthly full backups.
All of the data for the backups is gathered over a gigabit network and I know that will be an issue with the write speeds that LTO-4 is capable of.  Because of this I am looking to continue running the daily incremental backups to the lto-2 drive and run the weekly and monthly full backups to disk and automatically duplicate them to tape.

My question is:

Is there any way to automatically delete the backups that have been made to disk after they have been duplicated to tape?

Thanks,
Dustin
7 REPLIES 7

DR0701
Level 5
Hi Dustin

You could set the overwrite period on your B2D folder appropriately (something like 23 hours), so that the files will always be overwritten the following day.

Also, are you planning on keeping both your LTO2 and LTO4 drives?  Are you aware you'll have to purchase the Library Expansion Option to run two drives on the same installation?

Doug.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As Doug says, set the OPP of the media set to that the files can be overwritten

Also, be sure from Tools\Options\Media Management that "Use ovewriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"  is selected, or the disk will still fill up before it ever overwrites anything

ddorton
Level 4
Doug,

I thought I had read  that Backup Exec could support multiple single tape drives and you only needed the LEO if you had multiple multiple tape library drives.  Is that not correct?

Thanks,
Dustin

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Yes, BackupExec will support as many standalone drives as you care to hook up to the server   (At one time I ran 6 DLT7000s on a PII/400 with three dedicated SCSI channels with acceptable (tho not blazing) throughput to all drives

Out of the box, BackupExec supports one library with one tape drive.  Additional drives in that library and/or additional libraries require one LEO each.

ddorton
Level 4
Ok, so I think I am good then.  I am going to have one standalone lto2 drive that will be used for daily incrementals and one stand alone lto4 that will be used for the weekly and monthly full backups. 
I have a ton of new to barely lto2 tapes, thats the only reason I would like to keep using them for the incremental jobs.

Thanks,
Dustin

mbertsch
Not applicable
I've tested the D2D2T and it speed is great, but I have the same problem as orginally was stated, but the disk I have available for this process is not big enough for a whole nights backups.  So if backups from the disk are not being removed quickly (as dup jobs finish) it may fill up the disk.  It would be great if BE allowed me to use disk to buffer backups to tape instead of this two step process!

David_Perrin
Level 5
Dear Dustin,

I wonder if you could set the overwrite period on the media set you use for the daily jobs' B2D to 30 minutes or so so the files will be gone as soon as they are put on tape...

I agree this would be a very useful feature.

David