cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAG backup for Exchange 2013

Level 2

How does the preferred server list interact with the High Availability Server option?  We can't seem to get it correct.

I have DAG member nodeA in one location and DAG member nodeB in a second location.  Backup Exec 2014 is in the same physical location as nodeA so I want all backups to come from nodeA.  3 of my 5 Exchange dbs are active on nodeA but 2 Exchange dbs are active on nodeB.

I have the Preferred Server list filled with the site that nodeA is in.

What should I select for the High Availability?  "Backup from passive copy and if not available try the active"?

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

i have just the same issue to backup mailbox-database from the prefered side.
On Side A there are existing active and passive Mailbox-Databases and i want to backup all only from this side.
with the configuration of the prefered server, there are backup either the passive Databases from NodeA and the active Databases from NodeB (WAN-transfer) or active Databases from NodeA and the passive Databases from NodeB (WAN-transfer).

the Howto99184 is not resolving or helping solving this issue.

What i want?

I will backup all MailboxDatabases from one DAG-Node, whether are they active or passive
with ONE BACKUP-Policy !!!

Is this possible ???

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Please make new discussion for your issue, but i will answer. Yes you can backup it in one backup policy, but you will not backup both active and passive because both are the same.

Level 2

As best i can tell Backup Exec cannot just backup from the local server.  It tries to do the passive copy based on the first entry and since the preferred list only allows the local server to be access it will back up the passive copies.  But if the active copies are local it won't do them.

Any other ideas?

Level 2

This question is the same as mine.  How can we get Backup Exec to backup from the local server all the DAG dbs whether they are Active or Passive?  In practice I do not see how.

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

You can go with option - Backup Exec selects the passive copy based on your selections in the Preferred Server settings. However, if the passive copy is not available, Backup Exec backs up the active copy of the database. 

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

sorry, unfortunately this is wrong.
In my case the Prefered Server is configured and i want to backup only from this server.
If i configured the Exchange Option with passive first and when not available take the active Copy,
Backup Exec backups the available passive Databases from this node and after that its communicate with the other node to backup the passive Databases.

Level 2

Have you tried this successfully?  This solution doesn't work for me.