cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDS-4 Backup Job Rate is only 7GB/hr

JWorth
Level 4

Hello,

My Dell Powervault 120T DDS-4 Autoloader is only backing up just over 7Gb/hr. This is the same for my Internal Dell Powervault 100T DDS-4 Tape Drive.

Is there anyway that I can improve the backup speed? It is taking about 2 1/2 hours to backup 19Gb of data.

I have tried changing the Block Size, Buffer Size, etc to larger files. Can anybody recommend some settings that will make the backup performance quicker. All of the check boxes on the configuration page of each device are unticked.

Thanks,

Jonathan Worth

Hesa Limited

Network Manager

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As long as both single block options are  NOT selected, aside from setting block and buffer sizes, there isn't much you can do

What is the largest block size that your device(s) will support?  Set that, and buffersize to 265K or 512K and number of buffers to 10

If yuo shut down all backupexec services, does NTBackup also run very slowly?

Local backups or network?

JWorth
Level 4

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Where can I find out what the largest block my device will support?

NT Backup runs much faster than backup exec.

What could be causing this problem. It takes about 6/7 minutes to backup 2GB whereas it takes 16 mins to backup the same amount with backup exec.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The User Guide for the tape drive should tell you what the maximumj supported block size is

What are the current settings for Block Size, Buffer Size and Number of Buffers? 

Also the Single Block settings?

JWorth
Level 4

For the Powervault 100T the settings are:

Block Size: 64K

Buffer Size: 1024K

Buffer Count: 10

High Water Count: 7

For the Powervalt 120T DDS-4 Autoloader the settings are:

Block Size: 32K

Buffer Size: 512K

Buffer Count: 10

High Water Count: 0

I cannot find in any of the documentation that I have for these drives the recommended block, buffer size etc.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Those numbers look like they should work OK

What are the single block settings?   Both Single Block settings should be DISABLED unless the device is shared storage

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/298999.htm