cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFS Error - Support is beyond useless!

hazmat09
Level 4

I'll start with Symantec Support has been hit and miss with me.

This time it's horrendous.

• Put in call at 8am Friday morning Pacific Time, gave details and was told tech would call me back within a few hours
  • Support manager called me back 30 minutes later to tell me a tech would get back to me within an hour
  • 2pm comes around, and I get an email from the tech asking when he wants to call me??? how about today! I tell him I'm here until 4:30 PT. No call by 3:30 so email him back again. He's gone for the weekend....nice Don't these people pass their calls on?
  • I send another email telling him, I'll be back on Tues. I receive no emails or calls from tech
  • Call support at 8am, told tech would call me in an hour
  • I call back again at 12:30pm and support tells me they will re-assign to another tech. I said you've already done that, and she's says ohh...I ask if they only have two people working there??. She then tells me she can have another tech call me back in an hour. I tell her that's what support said last time at 8am...it's now 12:30pm. I then ask for a manager, she says a manager will call me back in 30 minutes. It's now 3.5 hours later and no callback....what a freaking gong show!....This is what you get for over 15K in maintenance!

Problem:

I'm trying to restore DFS data from DEDUP storage. The job was created from scratch after the 2012 upgrade. However I get an error the same as this - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184089 which relates to ugrading jobs from 2010 to 2012.

The data is all there when I browse through the backups and it seems to be only an issue with the restore function. I had done some data validation a few months ago without issue.

Any help would be appreciated as Symantec seems to have no staff.

Restore- Server The Shadow Copy Components file system has been modified to contain only user-defined data, such as ... The Shadow Copy Components file system has been modified to contain only user-defined data, such as ... 
2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Looks like this is a known issue - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issues/no-restore-selection-are-available-successful-dfsr-data-backup-after-upgrading-be-2012

From the Backup & Restore tab, choose "Add" and add the DFSR server using its IP address (not the netbios nor the fqdn name either)...Once the server has been added, click on the "Restore" tab & pls re-check...

Lastly, as a customer you have a right to escalate the case. If you receive such a response, pls call Support and speak with a duty manager..

hazmat09
Level 4

Thanks,

I can see my backup data, the problem is when I specify to restore to an alternate location. IE: G: on the backup server enclosure, it attempts to restore via a network path IE: \\Servername\Shadow?Copy?Components\DFSpath, instead of the root on H:

I also specifiy to not create the directory structure which it does create it.

Basically it's interpreting the restore job instructions incorrectly from what I see.

I finally got a callback from Support this morning and am working with a Tier 2 tech.

PS. The duty manager was supposed to call me back yesterday, but I never received a call.